Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring Diagram Software
Furyous

posted on 5/9/16 at 02:11 AM Reply With Quote
Wiring Diagram Software

Is there a simple to use program that I can use for drawing a wiring diagram? I've tried a couple of free ones but they weren't very intuitive and weren't geared towards vehicle wiring.

It would be nice if I could just select a lamp/relay/switch icon and slap it down where I want, then simply connect it to another point without having to draw individual horizontal/vertical lines, and to be able to choose wire colours easily.

Bluemoon

posted on 5/9/16 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Furyous
Is there a simple to use program that I can use for drawing a wiring diagram? I've tried a couple of free ones but they weren't very intuitive and weren't geared towards vehicle wiring.

It would be nice if I could just select a lamp/relay/switch icon and slap it down where I want, then simply connect it to another point without having to draw individual horizontal/vertical lines, and to be able to choose wire colours easily.

Dia gets close, you need to used Z lines.. You might find the correct symbols in the library..

peter030371

posted on 5/9/16 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I have used various 'professional' schematic/PCB CAD packages over the years but my current choice is far from cheap or easy to learn so no use to you!

Not sure about specific automotive wiring diagrams but you can certainly do schematics and electical diagrams on Design Spark and many people I know speak highly of it.>>linky<<

wylliezx9r

posted on 5/9/16 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Microsoft visio is very good, and pretty easy to use. I use it professionally so not sure how much a copy costs.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Furyous

posted on 5/9/16 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
I have used various 'professional' schematic/PCB CAD packages over the years but my current choice is far from cheap or easy to learn so no use to you!

Not sure about specific automotive wiring diagrams but you can certainly do schematics and electical diagrams on Design Spark and many people I know speak highly of it.>>linky<<

I've had a quick readup on Designspark. It seems to be what I'm looking for, thanks. I'll download it and have a play tonight.

My issue is that the kitcar diagrams I've seen online either don't suit my car or look bad printed at A4 size. If I design one in a CAD program I can up size it to A2 and stick it on the wall to follow pretty much 1:1. I'm repurposing a Subaru wiring loom including fuse box, stalks, igniton etc and I have a good diagram for the Subaru but I want to redesign that diagram for my car, with Microsquirt and EDIS.

snowy2

posted on 6/9/16 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
there are several simple car wiring diagrams out there....i have some on here as well.......
there really isnt a lot to a car loom.....what is it you need to do?

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

snowy2

posted on 6/9/16 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
from experience reusing a donor loom and modifying it to work with a totally different ecu is much MUCH harder than just doing your own loom from scratch.....

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

Furyous

posted on 6/9/16 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snowy2
from experience reusing a donor loom and modifying it to work with a totally different ecu is much MUCH harder than just doing your own loom from scratch.....

I'll basically be making it from scratch but reusing oem connectors that are already put together properly, and reusing the wires. It's not so much about matching Subaru injectors/ignition to my MS injectors/ignition. The fuse box is nice and tidy but not as simple as input 1 goes to output 1 so the Subaru diagram has been a big help for that.

I'd like to make my own diagram specific for my car which I can easily find, refer to and print off some time in the future. I've already rewired my Fury 3 times and I'm still not happy with it so I want to do it properly this time. I've also lost the napkins with my wiring scribbles so having a file on the pc would be helpful.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.