Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 1992 Westfield se Vs locost chassis dimensions
blakep82

posted on 19/9/21 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
1992 Westfield se Vs locost chassis dimensions

Hello gents, I've been asked to aid in the repair of a Westfield se chassis (appears to be a 1992 one) I haven't seen it yet, only a picture, looks like some front end damage, but nothing too bad. Front corner, top rail, and of course suspension pick up point.

How close are the key dimensions, tube lengths, various joint angles, suspension pick up points etc to the original locost book?
Is there a drawing (unlikely, or everyone would copy it) available that gives these sizes for the Westfield chassis?

Using the locost book as reference, the damage "appears" to be limited to this area

Description
Description

But will investigate further on Thursday

Thanks

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

JonBowden

posted on 20/9/21 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
I would say that the two are very similar.
Some of the key dimensions will be close if not the same, but not all.
If it helps, I have a nearly bare Westfield chassis in my workshop.
It's a pre-lit chassis.
I could take any photographs or measurements that you need.
If you message me, I'll send you my email address

Jon

JonBowden

posted on 20/9/21 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I've just noticed that you are in Greenock.
You are almost a neighbor.
If it helps, you could come and look at mine - I'm in Alexandria (just down from Balloch).

[Edited on 20/9/21 by JonBowden]

Jon

Smokey mow

posted on 20/9/21 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
A pre-lit Westfield is very different in the design of the chassis at the front compared to the later SE and other than a vaguely similar appearance neither are anything like a locost.
blakep82

posted on 20/9/21 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
I've just noticed that you are in Greenock.
You are almost a neighbor.
If it helps, you could come and look at mine - I'm in Alexandria (just down from Balloch).

[Edited on 20/9/21 by JonBowden]

Thank would be very much helpful, thanks Jon!
PM sent

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

procomp

posted on 20/9/21 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi. Nothing like when you get down to fine detail.

The Westfield chassis has a vertical taper as it goes forwards. The pick up points are completely different. Rack position is different.

Basically Ron copied the basics of the later SE Westfield on a fag packet as such then made the rest up as he went hence Locost is a bit of an abortion.

When repairing a road going Westfield chassis you'll have to be careful regarding the twist and central alignment as the road chassis is very week and moves considerably with even small accidents, the race version has all the extra cross bracings which helps keep them straighter
it is usually far easier to remove the complete front end and put a complete new front end on rather than repair a corner
hence i have chassis jigs for the Westfield's.

https://www.facebook.com/Procomp-motorsport-376574512390043/photos/pcb.4073261516054639/4073261372721320/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.