Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover K Series Question
zilspeed

posted on 16/2/05 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Rover K Series Question

I'm reasonably certain that all of the 4 cylinder K engines are physically identical externally. So it wouldn't be difficult to exchange the 1.4in the GTM for a 1.8

The question is, what cars use(d) the 1.8 -apart from the MGF and Elise.
Any ideas ?
Did they ever make a 1.8 Rover 25 ?

Ronin

posted on 16/2/05 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
There is a 1.8 75 with a K series. It's also in the 1.8 Freelander. But there have been very expensive reliability problems with them. See here
britishtrident

posted on 17/2/05 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
From about 1995 all K series (K8 and K16) from1.1 to 1.8 used the same cylinder block but with different wet liners.

The bigest difference between the installation is the gearbox --- up to 1.4 litre a Pug gearbox ws used, the 1.6 used a much stronger Pug gearbox while the 1.8 used Rover own PG2 gearbox. The 1.8 was used in the 200, 400, 25, 45,75 various MGs. The engine management system and injection system are significantly different on later models.

With K series the smaller engines are much sweeter running personally I would preffer the 1.4 or 1.6 to the long stroke 1.8.

[Edited on 17/2/05 by britishtrident]

stressy

posted on 17/2/05 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Id agree with british trident, the smaller capacity engines feel to have the edge to me.

WHO DARES SPINS

britishtrident

posted on 17/2/05 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stressy
Id agree with british trident, the smaller capacity engines feel to have the edge to me.

Thing that surpries me if the variation in performance between 2 different K series of the same capacity, I have had two 1.4 K16 MPi both made in 1995 one a 214Sei went like a rocket the other a 414Sli was dead to drive.
The engines should have been to the same 104 bhp spec but I suspect the 414 had the earlier type of cam.

stressy

posted on 17/2/05 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
British Trident,

From my experience the 1.4 seems to have the most variation in build states, i believe that the earlier ones, as you said, were a different block and some have strayed in to some fairly new cars, and there is also a couple of different heads which are used on the 1400.

The new versus old profile cams combined with the new versus old profile heads makes quite a difference.

I think for a seven on a budget i would alsays go for the 1600 because its got the extra torque you want to take tolerate better the "unsporting gear ratios" normally avaiable, and its a good power, economy, weight trade off. 120bhp of silky smoothe k power goes along way in a light car.

WHO DARES SPINS

zilspeed

posted on 17/2/05 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I guess the reason for considering a larger engine is because the GTM is relatively heavy compared to a se7en at over 700kg. I know, I know - that's flyweight compared to most series production cars.

I'll wait until I've given it a chance before I say any more.

Cheers

John F

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.