Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Diagonal chassis tube in engine bay
jonbeedle

posted on 23/5/05 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Diagonal chassis tube in engine bay

Need to remove and reposition diagonal chassis tube in engine bay to make room for my Stryka exhaust system. Any reason why I shouldn't? Rescued attachment Dscf0005.jpg
Rescued attachment Dscf0005.jpg

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion however stupid!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jonbeedle

posted on 23/5/05 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
.......and a pic taken from inside....... Rescued attachment Dscf0008.jpg
Rescued attachment Dscf0008.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 23/5/05 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
No reason at all not to move it.
Put two shorter ones in from the top two corners daigonally down to the middle of the bottom rail - that's how it's done on both sides on the Avon... Rescued attachment completeengine.JPG
Rescued attachment completeengine.JPG

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

cymtriks

posted on 23/5/05 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Analysis of tube R mods

tube R

The following are results of my analysis of engine bay mods (tube R variations)

Here are the results for chassis stiffness in ftlbs.

The book chassis:- 1155

My modified chassis design as described in earlier posts:- 2505

Both the above have standard tube R layout.

The book chassis with two shorter R tubes, one on each side of the engine, to allow wide engines to be fitted. This is a fairly common mod:- 907

My mods but with two short R tubes as above:- 1898

The conclusion is that fitting two short R tubes instead of one long one as in the book reduces the stiffness by about 25%

The book chassis but with two Y braces, one on each side of the engine, from where the H tubes meet tube Q to the tops of FU1/2:- 1215

My high stiffness design but with two Y braces as above has over 2700. A picture of this is in the photos section.

So the best way to get more space in the engine bay is to use a double Y brace. This being 33% stiffer than using two short R tubes.

Avoneer

posted on 23/5/05 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, do you mean the one horizontal that you seem to have removed, or the vertical round bar one?
Pat...

jonbeedle

posted on 24/5/05 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
Pat,
No you were right. It's the round tube which is under the bottom exhaust pipe. (See last pic above) I think Cymtriks thinks I meant the top rail.
And I haven't removed anything yet! I reckon I'll do it like the Avon as you suggest.
Cheers
Jon

[Edited on 24/5/05 by jonbeedle]

MikeRJ

posted on 24/5/05 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonbeedle
Pat,
No you were right. It's the round tube which is under the bottom exhaust pipe. (See last pic above) I think Cymtriks thinks I meant the top rail.

No, I think Cymtriks was talking about the same tube. If you removed the top rail the chassis would have the rigidity of a wet paper bag.

The advantage of the two short tubes is that is gives more support to the engine mountings, which otherwise put quite a high bending load on the lower rails.

I also suspect (but have no proof) that an upright member between the lower and upper chassis rails where the two shorter R tubes would meet would also restore most of the lost rigidity, but of course would be impossible to fit in your case.

jonbeedle

posted on 24/5/05 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
If I do it like the Avon though , which will be possible, It would end up more rigid than the original design don't you think? Because the tubes will be a bit stronger being 1" RHS as opposed to 0.5" tube or whatever it is.......

britishtrident

posted on 24/5/05 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
What about offsetting the engine to the left by 30mm and raising it by 15mm.
Avoneer

posted on 24/5/05 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Tube R is the top one, not the side ones we are talking about.

Use two pieces of 3/4" round on each side and it will be fine.

Pat...

jonbeedle

posted on 24/5/05 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
If I offset the engine any more than it already is, the alternator will be through the side of the car. Any higher and the vacuum thingy will foul on the top diagonal rail!
Cheers
Jon
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
What about offsetting the engine to the left by 30mm and raising it by 15mm.

jonbeedle

posted on 24/5/05 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I might go down this route but I'm exploring the possibilities of modifying my exhaust. See here http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=26623
Cheers Jon
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
Tube R is the top one, not the side ones we are talking about.

Use two pieces of 3/4" round on each side and it will be fine.

Pat...

NS Dev

posted on 25/5/05 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
A short answer, as I can't answer the initial question, but "the way it is on the Avon" looks very poor in terms of load paths to me but never mind, it'll still work!
craig1410

posted on 25/5/05 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
The long round tubes on the book (TR1 and TR2 IIRC) chassis are too long anyway and there is considerable advantage to be had by splitting this into two or even three "zig-zags"
It has also been said before that 1" round would be more sutable instead of 3/4" or do as I have done and use 1" square.

I'll post a pic of my setup in a moment if I can find one.

[Here's one]

Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 25/5/2005 by craig1410]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.