Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Under body protection
DorsetStrider

posted on 31/5/05 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Under body protection

I was just reading one of the other posts and someone suggested putting some wood under the body to increase strength.

Well that got me to thinking as so rarely happens (yes I do have a headache now) and I was wondering would it be worth covering the underside with a thin layer of fibreglass? not so much to add stiffness but I was thinking more to protect it from the elements and to provect the scraping of policemen.....sleeping ones that is.

Anybody tried it? any thoughts?

Who the f**K tightened this up!

Peteff

posted on 31/5/05 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Paint it. If you scratch it you paint it again, no problem

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

nick205

posted on 31/5/05 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've been thinking about applying some underbody sealant to exposed chassis rails underneath. I think other people have also added this to the underside of their wheel arches to protect the GRP from stone impacts.

Are you thinking to fix a sheet of GRP underneath or actually mould it onto the car?

If the latter then I'd be worried about trapping moisture against the chassis!

Nick

tiger7

posted on 31/5/05 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Tried it... didn't find a police officer yet to trial fit....

I used an alloy plate on a Tiger Cat to protect the pulley and belts and to get a better airflow through the rad.

See attachment ---> photo archive (attaching is too difficult for me)

[Edited on 31/5/05 by tiger7]

wilkingj

posted on 31/5/05 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I use Stone Chip its the almost hard setting sealant they use under wings and lower body (sills etc) on Cars. It can be overpainted, and works well.

I get the tins that go with the Schulz gun. Easy with an Air Compressor. Makes a good finish, and doesnt chip from the stones (Thats its Job).

Easy to apply, and easy to recover if you scrape some off. It goes off fairly hard, unlike underseal that will stay fairly loose.

It will also seal up gapsa between the frame and the floor. But I use Seam Sealer for that.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jlparsons

posted on 6/1/07 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I used a 3M chip-proofer years ago that I used on the underside of my emmental-effect citroen AX (first car). It came in spray tins, could be applied to the top-coat and gave a transparent dimpled rubber effect finish. Felt very much like ultra-bouncy silicone sealant and was very effective. It was about a 2mm depth i think.
Can't remember what it was called or if you can still buy it - useful post, eh?
There's probably a half used tin of it somewhere in the depths of my old man's garage so i can probably find a name if anyone wants.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.