Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Halfshafts v slide hammer
PeetBee

posted on 1/4/03 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Halfshafts v slide hammer

The half shafts are currently winning!

I've removed the 4 bolts either side that hold the halfshafts in, but my arms now hurt lots as the halfshafts refuse to shift.

Is there something obvious that I should have done or do I need to go down the gym and build up my muscles before attempting round 2?

Any help appreciated even if it is just calling me a weakling!

PeetBee

posted on 1/4/03 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, it seems as though I was being hasty (& weak!) the result of round 2 is in and I won, that axle was no match for me honest.

Sorry had to share this with you as when the other half gets home I'll probably just get a 'that's nice dear'. She just doesn't understand.

However, if there's anyone in the cheltenham or gloucester area that needs to borrow a slide hammer, give me a shout and I'm sure I can help

JohnFol

posted on 1/4/03 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
There is another way . .

It is possible to put a masonary chisel through from the back of the hub so that the end rests on the back of the bit you are trying to remove. You can then hit it with a big hammer and it will move. Might take a few hits, but far better that slide hammers

Hornet

posted on 2/4/03 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Just thought I'd add my tale of woe...

Removed first half shaft with ease.... almiost fell out once i tickled it

2nd one.. well in the end after heating banging u name it.. the bearing halved around the circumference leaving me to burn the remainder from the axle...
So... all is not straight forward at times.. Great fun!

jollygreengiant

posted on 3/4/03 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I drove my cortina down the road & round a left hander one day & the offside driveshaft just popped staight out off the bearing.......................... didn't half drive funny for 50yards until it stopped, still doing 70 standing still!

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

PeetBee

posted on 4/4/03 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps I should have tried that, but my engine's not running at the moment!

(I must be a wimp because my arms still ache after using that slide hammer!)

David Jenkins

posted on 4/4/03 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hornet

2nd one.. well in the end after heating banging u name it.. the bearing halved around the circumference leaving me to burn the remainder from the axle...
So... all is not straight forward at times.. Great fun!

For future reference - the easiest (and exciting) way to remove a stuck bearing from a half-shaft is to grind off the outer race with an angle grinder (1 slice each side), then part grind the inner race on opposite sides. The final act is to take a pair of hammers and wallop the inner race on opposite sides simultaneously.

As the bearing race is under tension the pieces fly apart like grenade shrapnel, so eye protection is a must!

Using this method means that you're not at risk of grinding the axle surface, which would mess up the seating for the replacement bearing.

Worked for me, anyway...

DJ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.