Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: non seven chassis
smart51

posted on 14/6/06 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
non seven chassis

I have a hypothetical question. If I were to make a ladder frame chassis for a 400kg microcar, what size steel tubes would be apropriate for the length of the vehicle. 50mm diameter x 1.5mm? 40mm? The less weight, the better.
v8kid

posted on 14/6/06 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Why steel? Wood has agruably the highest stiffness per kg of any material barring the exotic.

A ply box structure would be stiff, strong and could incorporate the body panels.

If it were me I would use 3mm birch ply, coat it with epoxy resin (as in boat building practice) and reinforce locally at loadbearing points.

Design could be by "evolution" i.e. design light and when it breaks make it stronger. The West epoxy system makes this easy and cheap to do

Could use foam in the nose for a deformable structure, bicycle air springs and motorbike brakes.

OOh arr I'm getting quite excited.

Could I get a V8 in it do you think??

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kissy

posted on 14/6/06 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Microcar = 400kg ????
Locost can be 400kg without too much effort

smart51

posted on 14/6/06 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
A good seven can be 400kg, without doors or roof or window glass. Without niceties like a heater or radio.

Lightweight seven builder often have a good budget for expensive lightweight materials too.

I'm interested in how big a section I might need for the lengths in the chassis given that there will be a single tube along each side.

ned

posted on 14/6/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
sounds a bit like a formula 750 racer to me..?

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 14/6/06 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
What about an A-frame style chassis? Something like the one used under the liege which has been pretty sucessful in trials and is very lightweight.

I'd have thought a decent ladder made from 50x50x1.5 mm would be fine for a microcar (which is the basis for 750 racers) Only twice the weight of 25x25x1.5 but much stiffer (about 8 times is a figure that I've seen but not checked).
Ladder frames really need the larger sections.

smart51

posted on 14/6/06 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
... no Ned, not a racer of any formula. A long term design project of mine is to design a car capable of a combined 100 MPG. I used to think it was easy.

[Edited on 14-6-2006 by smart51]

peterriley2

posted on 14/6/06 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
roadgowing car? depends on the kind of speeds you want it to do, a friend of mine did it with a gokart type car at college, they were racing against cars with r/c plane engines!!! if you make it a hybrid it shouldnt be that hard, those suzuki carry things with 750 engines do around 75mpg. it also depends on how you drive

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

smart51

posted on 14/6/06 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, a road going car, with a 500cc engine. Top speed of 80 or 85 MPH. 0-60 in about 16 seconds.
My current weight estimate is 395kg. The target is 350 but I don't know if I can loose any more weight. If 40mm diameter tubes would be strong enough, then I'll save a tiny bit.

t.j.

posted on 14/6/06 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Yes, a road going car, with a 500cc engine. Top speed of 80 or 85 MPH. 0-60 in about 16 seconds.
My current weight estimate is 395kg. The target is 350 but I don't know if I can loose any more weight. If 40mm diameter tubes would be strong enough, then I'll save a tiny bit.

kart
kart

it's EEC-approved so get one and drive savely

[Edited on 14/6/06 by t.j.]

peterriley2

posted on 14/6/06 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
what kind of engine are you using? and have you planned the 100mpg from anywhere, or is it just a guess that you hope to hit? ive just remembered that the suzuki carry 75mpg was a camping one as well, with hightop and kitchen unit etc, so cannot have weighed that little. are you doing a two person one or bigger?

Joel

smart51

posted on 14/6/06 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
The best engine I've found so far is a 505cc MPI engine made by Lombardini. 24 BHP @5400 RPM. They do a 1000cc diesel which is more powerful and would be quicker but the efficiency is about the same so theres no real advantage.
Volvorsport

posted on 14/6/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
skinny tyres and slippery shapes will also help that 100 MPG target.

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

peterriley2

posted on 14/6/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
just out of curiousity why are you making this? it sounds like quite a fun project, maybe one for me to try once the 7's finished

Joel

smart51

posted on 14/6/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
My seven is finished. The kit was a kind of trial build. I'm doing it beacuse I was convinced that I could do better than the mainstream manufacturs. That was 10 years ago when the best you could buy was a Citroen AX at 48.8 MPG (petrol).

145/60/13 tyres, an estimated 0.25 Cd and a frontal area of 1.4m2 are all really good. Reducing them much more would be hard.

So, anyone willing to venture an opinion on the steel? I'm not planning to build unless I can get the theory to suggest something close to 100 MPG. calulations at the moment suggest anything from 60 - 90 MPG (euro combined figure)

cymtriks

posted on 14/6/06 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
For a backbone chassis a single 4 inch tube with 1/8 wall will have about 1000ftlbs per degree stiffness. That's enough for your project.

If you want two tubes then how about two lengths of 4x2-14guage RHS. Two of these will give over 600ftlbs, probably enough if you really are serious about weight.

The easiest way is to make a light weight Locost!

peterriley2

posted on 14/6/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
its very hard to say seeing no design or plan, but id say thats its definately possible, it depends also on how user friendly you want it to be (luggage space etc), but i do know that designing a car is not easy work, and youd better have some time on your hands to complete it!!

Joel

locost_bryan

posted on 15/6/06 at 02:57 AM Reply With Quote
A chip upgrade on a Prius will give you 100mpg (supposedly! ) - don't know whether that would happen on the combined cycle though.

btw if light weight is more important than handling and/or safety, then opt for the smallest diameter tube.

[Edited on 15-6-06 by locost_bryan]

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

smart51

posted on 15/6/06 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locost_bryanif light weight is more important than handling and/or safety, then opt for the smallest diameter tube

Just because light weight is important, it doesn't mean that safety isn't. The point of good design is to make it strong enough and light enough.

The Prius will do 65 MPG but if costs £17000. An £x000 battery upgrade will make it do nearer to 80 MPG. I want to beat that for less than half the price.

v8kid

posted on 15/6/06 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Surely if you wish to better large design teams with all the manufacturers resources you have to think out of the box?

Just rehashing existing conventional construction methods aint going to achieve the results you are hoping for.

Have you considered tension structures? fabric bodies? inflatable bodywork? minimising moving parts? flexible chassis instead of conventional suspension?

In my humble opinion only innovative ideas will beat the big boys - the tricky bit is sifting the whacky from the innovative

JonBowden

posted on 15/6/06 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I might be missing something but isn't a ladder frame a rather poor choice for a very light car. Wouldn't a monocoque be better. Eg:

folded and rivited aluminium (like a Le Mans style car but smaller)

fibreglass monocoque

wood monocoque - I believe that Frank Costin made an F2 car called the Proteus as a wooden monocoque.

I just can't see a ladder frame being strong and stiff and light (at least not sufficiently for a car designed to be very light). Also, since all the strength is in a plane near ground level, if you were hit by another car, none of the chassis strength could be used to prevent the bumper of the offending vehicle hitting your body.

Jon

smart51

posted on 15/6/06 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I considered a GRP monocoque but it isn't recycleable. The ladder bit of my ladder frame isn't at floor level but at a similar height to the top rails on a seven chassis - a consideration for crash worthiness. My chassis design includes colapsible structures, for crash, that don't intrude into the passenger area. A Polypropelene tub and body panels is as light as you can get, apart from maybe a fabric roof and "doors". Even Carbon Fibre, made thick enough that you don't knock holes in it, is heavier than PP, though it is has a much higher tensile strength.

I chose a ladder frame after looking at a seven inspired space frame. After cutting out more tubes than I thought wise, it was still a bit heavy. My thoughts on a ladder frame is that bigger tubes are stiffer per kg than smaller tubes.

The main reason large car manufacturers don't do micro cars is because they don't want to. They feel safe with proven manufacturing techniques of steel monocoque structures. If I succede with my design it will not be because I can do better than them but just because I want to do it.

DIY Si

posted on 15/6/06 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
How much of an issue is recycling with this?
JonBowden

posted on 15/6/06 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
this might give you some ideas

http://www.uniquemotorcompany.co.uk/

the QPods seem to weigh only 220kg

Jon

smart51

posted on 15/6/06 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
The Qpod has a top speed of 28 MPH and does 60 MPG. It seems to be made of 25mm round tube, which is probably fine at those speeds.

I want something more like a car and with 50% better MPG.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.