Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: How much sheet ?
Glenn

posted on 13/5/03 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
How much sheet ?

Hello guys,

My chassis is looking good, engine/ box/diff all mounted up starting to look like a car

I need to get some sheet for the floor and backplate etc but do any of you know how much is required for the whole chassis (pretty much book + irs & 13BT).

what's the ideal size to buy for minimal wastage (and over expenditure)

Cheers

Glenn

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kingr

posted on 13/5/03 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
I made templates for all the pieces on my computer and then fiddled around with the bits (using an approximate first fit decreasing method for those in the know) until I had as litle wasteage as possible, I'd reccomend you do the same. Using this method I got the majority of what I need out of 3 8ft x 4ft sheets, so 4 sheets would look to be the number, I'm planning to use ali sheet on the floor though, so you may be able to get away with 3.

Kingr

GO

posted on 13/5/03 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Glenn,

In answer to your question, I have no idea, bought chassis with floor welded in.

However, glad to see another 13B! And so close by as well. I thought mine was going to be pretty snappy just using an NA 13B, but with the turbo version thats going to be nuts!!

Not got as far as yourself yet, at the cleaning up the engine stage. It'd be interesting to see how you're doing. Any chance I could pay a visit sometime?

Cheers,

Graham

Glenn

posted on 13/5/03 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
You can come and vist if you like, might be worth waiting a couple of weeks, should be rolling by then.

I only got my engine and box last thursday but it's full steam ahead now

Luckly the engine is brand spanking new so no need to clean it.

and the best bit, it only cost £300

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chris Leonard

posted on 13/5/03 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Are you planning a steel or Ali floor - Im biulding in Chelmsford and have some spare sheet left over
Glenn

posted on 13/5/03 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingr
I got the majority of what I need out of 3 8ft x 4ft sheets, so 4 sheets would look to be the number, I'm planning to use ali sheet on the floor though, so you may be able to get away with 3.
Kingr

That seems like a lot. i'll have to measure it all out. a steel floor sould be fine, i have got a rather light and powerful lump

Glenn

posted on 13/5/03 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Leonard
Are you planning a steel or Ali floor - Im biulding in Chelmsford and have some spare sheet left over

I was planning on a steel floor, but im not really fussed. what have you got ?

Any ideas on the weight difference ?

GO

posted on 13/5/03 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Blimey! Where did you get the engine?!? Thats a ridiculous price! Did it come as a full unit with ancillaries, ECU etc?

I paid 370 for a 2nd gen RX-7 that was being scrapped, thats including delivery from exeter. Not much of the rest of the car left though, the neighbours loved it, only one complaint! Apparently engine was rebuilt 18 thou miles ago, and it did sound very sweet. Got no proof of the rebuild though unfortunately.

Chris, I'm in shenfield, been wondering where all the local builders are!!

Glenn

posted on 13/5/03 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
It didn't come with ancillaries but im making the inlet and exhaust manifolds anyway so I can have a t66 in there (hummm 500bhp !!! bit much maybe)

Im using a programmable ECU, possibly Megasquirt since I have a few already but I have plenty of other options

I did however get a turbo 2 gearbox which is all I really wanted.

Also got a few odd's and sods thrown in, old dizzy etc, but I already have a source for everything else (thanks bill) so im good to go.

Findlay234

posted on 13/5/03 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
you say you have a few megasquirts? did you make them yourself?
Chris Leonard

posted on 13/5/03 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have a measure up and see what sheet Ive got left.

Go - how far have you got on your biuld - come over if you like - I'm at the sort out the electric's stage (but mostly sorted now) - on the home straight 2 and a half years on!

GO

posted on 13/5/03 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Er... not far yet!! I've bought chassis and bodywork, all from Luego so thats given me a head start, which I picked up in March. All I've done so far really is strip an RX-7 for the engine and box, just started cleaning it up at the weekend. Can't believe thats 2 months gone already! Before I can really get going I need to get myself a Sierra so I can get it on its wheels. Then the real work will start.

Before I found this site I was hoping I might have it on the road by the end of the summer!! Just got to bolt a few bits together, what can be difficult about that?!? I always was an optimistic. Believe it or not I'm still hoping I can do it this year!

Cheers Chris, I'll no doubt take you up on that offer at some point.

Glenn, I'm guessing you know what you're doing with these engines then! This is my first experience with them, I'm gonna have to check out what you're doing.

Graham

Glenn

posted on 13/5/03 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Findlay234
you say you have a few megasquirts? did you make them yourself?

yep

macbrew

posted on 13/5/03 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Beg borrow and steal (remember the budget is only £250)

Visit the local metalbashers and ask for offcuts, they will probably cut them to size for nowt (probably need to visit Yorkshire for this quality of service).

Ali for the floor ? wouldnt get in it after 12 pints, my arse would be scraping the groung after 2 miles.

All sheet cost me about £18, wear some very old clothes and look poor, works wonders. Also tell them what your doing ... gets more sympathy (poor misguided sod thinks he can build a car)

Sorry, can't stop gabbing after talking to Jack and Jim.

kingr

posted on 14/5/03 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
The ali isn't going to be supporting the seats, there's going to be tube doing that.

Kingr

Glenn

posted on 14/5/03 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macbrew
Beg borrow and steal (remember the budget is only £250)

yer right got a great deal on my engine and box but those alone cost me £300.

Im not really going the cheep route, i don't fancy cuting corners when im pushing that much power !

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.