Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Website development and hosting
Jumpy Guy

posted on 12/9/06 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Website development and hosting

Finally looking to develop a website, which will include some business stuff, and some car stuff too...

usual questions, i suppose-

which package is best to develop a site on?
where do i host it? (ideally cheaply....or even better free!! )

all opinions welcome!!

ecosse

posted on 12/9/06 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
I use 1and1, decent prices and good service

Cheers

Alex

dave1888

posted on 12/9/06 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
I use 1and1 the only thing is i had problems with them emailing me to tell me my account was frozen, unfortunetly they emailed the address they froze then threatened me with court action. It was only after numerous calls to there non understanding staff in bangladesh and paying some half arsed debt collector in the uk that i managed to get it all sorted. In the end it cost me about £65 extra for a phish website that should have cost £60 a year. Why not try Netrino.

thunderace

posted on 12/9/06 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
i get free webspace with blueyonder.
dont know how big it is but have stuck a 7 min video on it so far.

http://www.wetbike.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

russbost

posted on 12/9/06 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I found that any "free" sites contained catches such as built in advertising/banners/popups etc.
I use Affordable Multimedia (afmu.com) it cost aroud £35 for 2 years including the web name. Had no major problems, although aol refused to allow the site to load, but I believe that's fixed now & very little downtime. If you want much more space than I've used (you can get an idea by looking at my site www.furorecars.co.uk) then you'd need to pay a bit more.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nicksertis

posted on 12/9/06 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
If you're looking for a larger hosting company for business hosting, I would suggest webfusion (www.webfusion.co.uk). They offer both Linux and Windows hosting depending on what you prefer, at pretty good prices I think.

ATB,
Nick

chockymonster

posted on 12/9/06 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
For cheap, no frills hosting try http://www.nearlyfreespeech.net
I've had 3 sites registered with them for nearly 5 years now. So far the 3 together have cost me $15 to pay into my account with them. I still have $9 of hosting credit left

$6 for 3 sites is pretty good going!

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ecosse

posted on 12/9/06 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave1888
I use 1and1 the only thing is i had problems with them emailing me to tell me my account was frozen, unfortunetly they emailed the address they froze then threatened me with court action. It was only after numerous calls to there non understanding staff in bangladesh and paying some half arsed debt collector in the uk that i managed to get it all sorted. In the end it cost me about £65 extra for a phish website that should have cost £60 a year. Why not try Netrino.

I had the exact same problem, although not with the resolution of it.
but to cut a long story short they appologised and re-activated my account with no charges.
Its been fine ever since (2yrs) now, but certainly something to be aware of as it has obviously happened to others!
Cheers
Alex

joneh

posted on 12/9/06 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I use Dreamweaver for the pretty bits and Edit plus for any css/php/sql/java etc.

I'm transfering to http://www.synergyworks.co.uk when my current crappy f2s hosting runs out.

Werner Van Loock

posted on 12/9/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running clubstylus on one.com

Very reliable hosting with 1GB space and mysql database, pop/smtp email etc...

Can't complain about them.

For building websites I use homesite, don't know if it's still sold by adobe.

[Edited on 12/9/06 by Werner Van Loock]

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 13/9/06 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
One word of warning, if you use something like Dreamweaver or Frontpage to create the site it won't be recognised by search engines - this was how I did my first 2 sites. The current site (which has links to the old ones) was rewritten professionally into correct code in order that the search engines will find you. Might be quite important if you need people to find your site rather than being directed to it.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
martyn_16v

posted on 13/9/06 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't even consider free hosting for a business web site, 99% of the free stuff is good for kiddies personal pages (in horrifying colours with flashing text and background music, you know the type) but nothing more. If you want to project a good professional image then you need a site with your own domain name that is free of ads, and actually works most of the time. Asmallorange do good cheap hosting packages, and 123reg.com for the domain names.

Don't know about Dreamweaver but i'd certainly stick clear of trying to make a site with Frontpage or god forbid MS Word, the code will be 'orrible and it probably will look damn strange to people not using Internet Explorer. Real men use VIM, but then 'real men' also spend far too much time in front of a screen and know very little of real women

nicksertis

posted on 13/9/06 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Finally someone else appreciates the power of VIM! Please tell me that you consider Elm the best email client in the world?? ;o)
chockymonster

posted on 13/9/06 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
One word of warning, if you use something like Dreamweaver or Frontpage to create the site it won't be recognised by search engines - this was how I did my first 2 sites.

Sorry, but that's rubbish.
I've done many a site in dreamweaver (avoid Fpage like the plague) and have never had an issue with search engine placement. It's all about keyword density and knowing how to get sites registered correctly.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

chockymonster

posted on 13/9/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nicksertis
Please tell me that you consider Elm the best email client in the world?? ;o)

Ah, a true sadist
No matter how many times I use nano I still try and use Vim commands.

iank

posted on 13/9/06 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
I'll see your vim and elm and raise you tin (newsreader) and lynx (web browser).

If we find an emacs geek we can have a proper geek flame war

chockymonster

posted on 13/9/06 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
If we find an emacs geek we can have a proper geek flame war

Sorry, I'm too busy configuring AIX LPARs to bother with geeky flame wars about mail clients and BA text editors

martyn_16v

posted on 14/9/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nicksertis
Finally someone else appreciates the power of VIM! Please tell me that you consider Elm the best email client in the world?? ;o)

Ahh no, i'm still a slave to M$ Outlook, it talks to all of my toys

stevebubs

posted on 14/9/06 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've recently move cantcatchme.net to godaddy.com and their prices / packages are pretty attractive

Main page isn't up yet but I've the gallery running at gallery.cantcatchme.net

Full web interface for DNS, webspace, database and hosted application management.

Gallery function was one of their out of the box apps - just tick the application and they install it.

JackNco

posted on 17/9/06 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
You have a U2U message

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.