Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel proof rubber sheet
James

posted on 28/11/06 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel proof rubber sheet

I need to make a gasket to seal between a 2" diameter hole in the top of my fuel tank and the plate that covers it that will be self-tapped on.

I've tried some rubbery Loctite stuff from a tube (that I was told was fuel proof) but it disolved into the fuel and blocked the filter.

I've tried some 'Red Fibre' gasket from Frosts but it's too 'hard' and doesn't seal properly.

I wanted to avoid Hermetite Blue as apparently it goes hard and bits can drop into tank and block filter.

The best thing would be a sheet of fuel proof rubber (similar to what's sealing my sender) but I can't find any for sale anywhere.

Otherwise a tube of 'goo' that is fuel proof but stays rubbery.

Please help! I'm getting desperate! The amount of fuel running out of my tank isn't good for my wallet, the environment, any bikers behind me, and the over-worked fire brigade in case I also drive over a still lit fag butt!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

tks

posted on 28/11/06 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
mhhh

cant you just open up a fuel pipe? and drill and bend it? i used front wing kit/silicone / tube stuff and it works!

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

RazMan

posted on 28/11/06 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
It might be because the (I assume) fairly thin alloy is puckering between the self tappers. Have you tried a heavier gauge plate James?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hammerhead

posted on 28/11/06 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
HI James,

I have a large sheet of rubber, approx 3mm thick. I don't know if its fuel proof but it seems very tough. Is it anygood to you? I can post you some if you u2u me.

CHeers.
Steven

02GF74

posted on 28/11/06 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have a sheet of something at home that may help you - PM me with size and address and I'll pop a slice in the post.

I used it to make a gasket for my fuel sender, held in place with red hermatite (blue stuff is not petrol resistant) and no leaks so far.

Just to add I have used the plastic sheet from a milk carton before without problems

[Edited on 28/11/06 by 02GF74]

Dusty

posted on 28/11/06 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
You need nitrile rubber gasket sheet like this on fleabay. link
Dingz

posted on 28/11/06 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Dusty James will need Viton for lead free fuels. If about 4" sq. is enough send me a U2U with your address and I will send some.
Dusty

posted on 28/11/06 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Sucks. Is nitrile no good with lead free? What about all those nitrile O rings scattered about the car. I thought even the O rings on my injectors were nitrile. They should all be viton should they?
chriscook

posted on 28/11/06 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I used a bit of inner tube on a blanking plate on the top of my tank. Seems ok but its not submerged being on the top face.

Chris

rusty nuts

posted on 28/11/06 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know if you can still get it and if it would be OK with unleaded but Petropatch could be what you need . Put both sides of a piece of gasket paper it should seal
Dingz

posted on 28/11/06 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, sorry Dusty, stuff they put in the petrol to replace the dangerous? lead is very aggressive, bio fuels are as well.
If you need to replace any of the nitrile ones mail me with the sizes and I will see if I can help.

merkurman

posted on 29/11/06 at 03:16 AM Reply With Quote
I am using cork on the tank in my fairlane. I have the sender and pickup sunk in about 1" from the top and have no problems with it (my sender CAME with a cork gasket)

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 30/11/06 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the responses and offers of help!

Richard has kindly sent me some rubbery sheet type stuff with which to make a gasket so I will fit this and see if I stop getting blocked filters and breaking down like this morning!

Thanks again,
James

[Edited on 30/11/06 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.