Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: to fit cat or not
thegasmen

posted on 27/12/06 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
to fit cat or not

The dax rush im building is a 98 carbed blackbird, will i need to fit a cat to it. speaking to the mot place today he says that you cant fit lamba sensors to a carbed motorcycle.And the lamba sensors control the amount of fuel to air ratio to stop damadging the cat.

anyone have any ideas.

regards mick

macnab

posted on 27/12/06 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
like wise I was under the impression (infact I know you can't) it's not possible to have a carb & a cat. You've got a big prob there...

Can you fit a more modern injection system to the engine???

[Edited on 27/12/06 by macnab]

DIY Si

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
The cat is an entirely stand alone device that can be fitted to any engine to reduce CO and hydrocarbon emissions. It can be fitted to carb's and FI engine. The lamda sensor is merely there to measure the O2 content of the exhaust gases (I think).
Also, the SVA and MOT emission level don't necessarily have anything to do with each other, as trhe SVA testes the age of the engine, the MOT to the age of the plate (or it should do before anyone says anything ), although some do find that the SCA limits get printed on the V5.

[Edited on 27/12/06 by DIY Si]

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

zxrlocost

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ok so

lets start from fresh any engine after 95 Bike or car, has to pass a cat test YOU WILL NOT PASS THE TEST WITHOUT A CAT that is certain on a bike engine

now my r1 carb engine didnt have a lamda sensor obviously

so therefore you have to adust the carbmixture screws LOTS of times(can be very fidly infact its a pissing pain in the ass and I cant believe Im aiming to do it again!!) to meet the required SVA requirements
forget what it does to the CAT thats the least of your worries

MY CAT system has been used on 7 BECs to get them through the SVA and hasnt failed them yet

[Edited on 27/12/06 by zxrlocost]

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

thegasmen

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
cat problem

Thanks fellas
when i rang sva in summer they told me it had to have a cat to pass sva so from what ive found out from the mechanic TODAY its going to shag the cat eventually and the car will run shite also,but he says that due to mot law the car will pass on the age of the doner car age which is 1991 sierra which doesnt need a cat. So does any body want to rent out there cat silencer for sva to be removed for a standard can when passed.BLOODY REDICULAS..

zxrlocost

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
hi mate

no one leaves the cat on after SVA

the cars dont need MOTING for three years anyway

your also most likely to get a Q plate so there is no emissions test after the SVA forever

I have one you can rent where abouts are you

ta chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

thegasmen

posted on 27/12/06 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
cat silencer

Hi Chris

Im up in leeds west yorkshire
Its not going to be for a while yet.

regards mick

DIY Si

posted on 27/12/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just actually seen you're running a "Bird. Mine must've had a CAT at some point (for the SVA), but certainly doesn't now, and passed it's MOT with flying colours. Only takes about 15-20 mins to do, so quick the bloke gave me a coffee so he had something to do for the other 20 mins!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Wadders

posted on 27/12/06 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Iv'e got a full closed loop lambda air bleed system, and a cat welded to a standard gsxr can, which you can borrow for your sva. You'll have to adapt your existing exhaust to fit it though, and it needs a boss in the collector for the lambda sensor. I'm sure we can cobble something up.
Worked fine on my carbed ZX9. I live in Leeds 26 btw.
ATB
Al.

joscorstjens

posted on 28/12/06 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Closed loop lambda? So which ECU are you using?
Bob C

posted on 28/12/06 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
You can get through SVA with a carbed bike engine and a cat - I did it last week. On a Q plate I should never need the cat again so I'll sell it on. With the cat on I got very low CO and HC but the lambda wandered about a bit, however I was able to pass.
If you're going for an age related plate and will need to pass emissions at MOT every year, it's probably worth investing in a closed loop system wth electrically operated air bleed valves as detailed on R Miles "strikerR1" website - and leaving it on.
Otherwise it looks like an unnecessary investment.
From memory it was called a "rent-a-cat" system, cost over a hundred GBP, and was obtained from "allbikes" ....???? It was a wee micro that looked at a lambda probe & clattered some air bleed valves to get the lambda right - you set the carbs up a bit rich.
Bob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.