Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: roll-bar; arness anchorages
xico_ze54

posted on 2/2/07 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
roll-bar; arness anchorages

can you please take a look at this sketch and say your opinion if this kind of roll-bar/arness anchorages would pass in a SVA test? Rescued attachment roll-bar.jpg
Rescued attachment roll-bar.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 2/2/07 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert, but I don't think it would pass like that

Imagine being in a head on accident, you and your passenger will still be moving forward, stopped only by the seat belts.

Both seat belts are mounted to the cross rail of the roll bar. That means that bar has to hold approx 3000kgs?

(Assuming each passenger is 75kg and the SVA manual wants to see a 20G loading?) See here for recent thread.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=59030

It would have to be pretty thick and securely welded to the vertical hoop to cope with that sort of shock load.

Far better to introduce some triangulation into it (IMHO).

Mike

ProjectX

posted on 2/2/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about the bolts to the chassis and Mike you beat me to it!

quote:

I'm no expert, but I don't think it would pass like that

This might help with the seatbelt anchorages

HTH

Jamie

scutter

posted on 3/2/07 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Your half way there, the rear braces need to be stronger, why not take them down the rear corners of the chassis. Mine passed SVA like this.

getting worse
getting worse

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
xico_ze54

posted on 3/2/07 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the advices.

but... How about those cases of chromated rol-bars (I was thinking in chromated mine)? they have to be bolted on chassis, not welded. Or is that the case of SVA no longer accept bolted roll-bars?

another thing: I also made those calculations in case of colision, but aren't you forger that weights have to be divided by 2, due to lower anchorages?

one more thing: my main tubes are Ø45mm/2,5mm wall, and intend for the rears Ø25mm/2mm wall.

[Edited on 3/2/07 by xico_ze54]

[Edited on 3/2/07 by xico_ze54]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.