Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: engine clearance
dyntan

posted on 22/5/07 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
engine clearance

i'm setting up to fab my engine mounts. i've set the engine as per book at 1 inch below the chassis, the problem is that at this height the rocker cover and especially the oil filler cap fouls the bonnet. how low can i safely go for normal road use would 2 inches be too much. the engine is a 711m crossflow. any ideas appreciated
Phil.J

posted on 22/5/07 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, I would shorten the sump and pick-up everytime in order to get the engine as low as possible. adding a wing on the sump to get the capacity back.
Getting that bloody great weight as low down in the chassis as possible will pay dividends in handling, plus I've not seen a car yet that doesn't look better without a bonnet bulge or opening.

BenB

posted on 22/5/07 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
2 inches between sump and concrete? No way (not if you're going anywhere near speed bumps anyway)!!!
3" for me is the bare minimum, 4" if possible....

To an extent it depends where fore/aft the lowest point is. If its directly between the front wheels its less of a problem that if its half way between the front / rear wheels.....

kb58

posted on 22/5/07 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
2 inches between sump and concrete? No way (not if you're going anywhere near speed bumps anyway)!!!
3" for me is the bare minimum, 4" if possible....

To an extent it depends where fore/aft the lowest point is. If its directly between the front wheels its less of a problem that if its half way between the front / rear wheels.....

I think he mean lowering the engine 2", not 2" ground clearance. About the low engine being okay if it's between the front wheels, I have to disagree. It's all fine as long as all you hit are speedbumps - while traveling at walking speed. Yes, in that case the engine will rise with the tires, lifting the engine over the bump.

Someday, though, the car will cross this same speedbump at speed, for whatever reason. Now, the suspension will deflect, absorbing the height of the speedbump, while the engine/chassis won't move relative to the ground. That's when there's going to be a real problem!

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DavidM

posted on 22/5/07 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
My 1300 crossflow has a standard sump which is 1 3/4" (45mm) below the chassis. I moved the oil filler to the back of the rocker cover, but otherwise it all fits under the bonnet except for the air filter. That will go as well soon.
I've set the ride height on mine to the dimensions that Westfield use and my sump has never hit anything, including those bumps that your wheels go either side of.
Can't remember ride height dimensions off hand, but I'll have a look tonight.

Edited to say, if it's a 1600 xflow it's about 1" higher than the 1300., but would still fit under the bonnet in mine. My nose cone is 8" high from the top of the chassis.

David

[Edited on 22/5/07 by DavidM]

phil m

posted on 22/5/07 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I think luego bodywork is taller which may help accomodate this

My sump is only just 3 inches of the ground and apart from the odd spped hump it's ok

Phil Rescued attachment Picture 043.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 043.jpg

phil m

posted on 22/5/07 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Bigger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rescued attachment Picture.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture.jpg

graememk

posted on 22/5/07 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
god mines lower than that lol

but i have a spare sump lol

dyntan

posted on 22/5/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for your comments
gonna set it at 1.5inches below the chassis and move the oil filler i think

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.