Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: The thrill has gone
Pants On Fire

posted on 25/5/07 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
The thrill has gone

Time to get it off my chest.

So I'm in my 3rd 7 in 10 years, the first 2 were Caterhams, 1 factory built, 1 self built and I'm currently in an Indy I bought built.

The Indy has been super reliable apart from a mishap early on when I damaged the lower front o/s wishbone and smashed the rear arches the only thing that's ever gone wrong is the rear main seal which I replaced 2 weeks ago. It was a minor leak which left a few drips on the garage floor, nothing more.

I've spent some money on it, silicon hoses, race fuel regulator, new swirl pot, oil catch tank, shift lights, tyres and wheels, new seats.

Its had several track days in the past 12 months and behaved impeccably and drinks very little oil even when on track.

It looks great handles well and goes like stink with 245 horses. Everyone who goes out in it is just awe struck by the acceleration as you'd expect.

But, it just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I'm off to the Ring in late August and once I return unless things change it will be up for sale.

Have I fallen out of love with 7ing?

Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

nib1980

posted on 25/5/07 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry I can't help you if you have lost the love, (but i wouldn't sell it you'd only regret it later.)

as an aside, where did you get you lovely carbon shaped dash?

RazMan

posted on 25/5/07 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Turbo!!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 25/5/07 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
you havent falled out of love, it just needs more power.

iank

posted on 25/5/07 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe, but what's the problem? Too slow? , a desire for a more comfortable environment when driving long distance? Or is the reliability getting too you? Maybe you just need to get into the garage and make something?

I guess a full bore racecar, high end GT car, a restoration of something rare and interesting or a designed yourself car would be the next step depending on what you feel is 'missing'.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

x_flow57

posted on 25/5/07 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
GO RACING, the buzz is sooo much better than trackdays/road.
TimC

posted on 25/5/07 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Have the two of you considered relationship counselling?

You should be open and honest with each other. If, for example her positive rear camber is getting you down you should talk it through.

I'm running.... Helmet On.... You'll never catch me... hee hee!

Pants On Fire

posted on 25/5/07 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by x_flow57

That's just it. I have been offered a 50% share in a Golf GTi race car & trailer & all the support goodies and this is partly fuelling my decision.

nib1980 the dash was designed by the builder, he had 3 made last time I spoke to him he wasn't aware where the other 2 were. I was going to use the overall deign and dimensions to fabricate one for a Stack.

Pants On Fire

posted on 25/5/07 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Have the two of you considered relationship counselling?

You should be open and honest with each other. If, for example her positive rear camber is getting you down you should talk it through.

I'm running.... Helmet On.... You'll never catch me... hee hee!

I tried talking to her last night but she couldn't hear me over the induction noise

Hellfire

posted on 25/5/07 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds to me like you need to fit a bike engine with a turbo strapped to it

Phil

PS. It's good to see the Indy handles well in comparison to your previous Caterhams.

jacko

posted on 25/5/07 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pants On Fire
quote:
Originally posted by x_flow57

nib1980 the dash was designed by the builder, he had 3 made last time I spoke to him he wasn't aware where the other 2 were.

Hi Andy w on here has a dash like that
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pants On Fire

posted on 25/5/07 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
It does handle as well in most situations and what has helped beyond measure is a Quaiffe 2.4 lock to lock rack shimmed up to dial out bump steer. Best £240 I've ever spent thanks to Track Developments.

[Edited on 25/5/07 by Pants On Fire]

t.j.

posted on 25/5/07 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
I see....

You must stopping sheeting your 7.

You can't drive a GTI and a 7

Messing around with more then one doesn't work. I see it all the time

DavidM

posted on 25/5/07 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Sell it!

Buy a hacksaw, some tube and start a scratch build, make as much as possible. That'll take a few years and once it's built you'll have such an emotional attachment you'll never want to sell it.

David

DaveFJ

posted on 25/5/07 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
He's lost that loving feeling, whoaoa that loving feeling.... come on everybody! He's lost that loving feeling now it's gone gone gone whoaoa.....

I'll get my coat

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

russbost

posted on 25/5/07 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Simple answer - You need a Furore, if that doesn't get your juices flowing, nothing will - I'm totally unbiased of course!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nige

posted on 25/5/07 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
ooooooh noooooo
dont sell it i wont get the exhaust manifold

when you start this journey
you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

ayoungman

posted on 25/5/07 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
gas turbine power ? Just a thought.
An alternative might be solid fuel rockets for that extra punch that you are looking for.

"just like that !"

Angel Acevedo

posted on 25/5/07 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
He's lost that loving feeling, whoaoa that loving feeling.... come on everybody! He's lost that loving feeling now it's gone gone gone whoaoa.....

I'll get my coat

Thats premonitory, i`m starting the build and happen to be listening to the song earlier this morning (8:30 am here in Mexico)

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

pauldm

posted on 25/5/07 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go! You can start planning your chassis.
<<
Ebay auction.>>

24vseven

posted on 25/5/07 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
as regards your chance of a share in a race car i am in this situation with a friend and you have to thin about certian things

what happens if your friend is drivin and it crashes who pays you him or both of you and vice verca

this also gose for mantance running costs
what about entry fees do you both pay them

all am saying is theer is a lot to consider

also if its a full race car it will be a pig to drive on the road at least the 7 you can use whenever

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.