Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone else see the point?
Howlor

posted on 8/6/07 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone else see the point?

Link

I don't really see the point of this car. Granted it is obvioulsy a well engineered race car that I am sure will be exhilerating to drive but is it really worth £190K for a track toy?

You would have thought that only the richest of people would dare risk it round a track day especially when you get some lad in a £50 Pug beltin round!

Maybe I am just getting old!

Steve

JoelP

posted on 8/6/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
its a car for the very rich - they obviously wont sell many at that price. TBH though, if i won £5m on the lottery im still not sure id get one. Looks breathtaking though! Deffo would be fun to set a few lap records in it!
Minicooper

posted on 8/6/07 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
I think it's fantastic, how much do you get for a Kidney these days? I think I'll have to sell both and maybe one of my Livers as well

Cheers
David

graememk

posted on 8/6/07 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
I think it's fantastic, how much do you get for a Kidney these days? I think I'll have to sell both and maybe one of my Livers as well

Cheers
David

do you have two of each ?

CAD Monkey

posted on 8/6/07 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
At least you'd get a good few laps in in the few seconds you'd live after they took your liver out!!
nib1980

posted on 8/6/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
looks like someones stole hammerheads design.
balidey

posted on 8/6/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Howlor

You would have thought that only the richest of people would dare risk it round a track day especially when you get some lad in a £50 Pug beltin round!

There are lots of track days that us ordinary people don't know about / can't afford (delete as appropriate). Some tracks are booked and there are only half a dozen cars there total. Very exclusive, and definitly no £50 pugs.

Duncan_P

posted on 8/6/07 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Must admit that i have fancied one (not that i could probably afford a wheel for one) ever since i clapped eyes on it.

Really looking forward to seeing it at FOS this year, will be great to see it running

Yes its stupid, impractical etc etc.....but isnt that the point

Hammerhead

posted on 8/6/07 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nib1980
looks like someones stole hammerheads design.

My design has changed loads since it was last made public.

Just bought a roll of carbon fiber to play with!!

[Edited on 8/6/07 by Hammerhead]

Guinness

posted on 8/6/07 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Having seen one in the metal at the Autosports Show in Birmingham this year, I can definately see the point.

t1
t1

It's a dream car / supercar.

That's all it needs to be.

Mike

Minicooper

posted on 8/6/07 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper

Cheers
David

do you have two of each ?

My mother says I'm special!!

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 8/6/07 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I saw it at the Autosport show as well and it did not look worth 190k. Are some of the ex McLaren guys not got something to do with it.

02GF74

posted on 8/6/07 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
if you8could afford that, then you probably have your own track, no worries about pugs.

is there a point? is there any point in a car costing more the £ 10k? probably not but you've got to admit it is a loada fun and if they sell enough, then the price will drop as well as making the technology cheaper.

who know, the next ChrisG book will include making your chassis/monoque not out of budgie feathers but from honeycomb kevlar and carbon fibre composites,

drlloyd

posted on 8/6/07 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Its looks like an R&D project to me, I expect they are just selling some to recoup some costs and see what the interest is.

Would be nice to have that sort of money to burn though...

speedyxjs

posted on 8/6/07 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
This incredible power-to-weight ratio results in a 0-60mph time of less than 2.5 seconds and the ability to reach 100mph within five seconds. Braking performance is no less impressive with 100mph to standstill being delivered in 3.5 seconds.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

iank

posted on 8/6/07 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Quote:
This incredible power-to-weight ratio results in a 0-60mph time of less than 2.5 seconds and the ability to reach 100mph within five seconds. Braking performance is no less impressive with 100mph to standstill being delivered in 3.5 seconds.

So why haven't they posted a new 0-100-0 time beating Ultima they should be able to beat it by 0.5 sec if those figures are true. It would be step 1 in my marketing plan, followed by step 2 giving it to the stig for a new fastest on Top Gear.

Of course an Ultima is a quarter the price.

"GTR road car set a new world record time of a staggering 9.4 secs for the 0-100mph-0 sprint. The GTR scorched from 0-60mph in 2.6 secs, 0-100mph in 5.3 secs and braked to zero from 100mph in a mind blowing 3.6 secs"

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Marlon

posted on 8/6/07 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
didn't they show it on top gear a while back as a "reasonably priced car" as a bit of a come back to the number of complaints that they'd recieved because they didn't feature enough fair priced motors?
I like it all the same though, think it looks v mean and imposing.

john.

Band Anyone?

Linky to SWMBO 's band
Linky to Brother in laws band
MKoc 1081

andyps

posted on 8/6/07 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
When I have the money I will have one - if you want the ultimate road going track day car this has to be close. Remember there are people who have bought Ferrari FXX's for about 3 or four times the cost of the Caparo and they are not road legal and probably nothing like as fast.

The main point of the car though is to promote the automotive consultancy - as a mobile advert for their ability to design a car from scratch including an engine in a very short time it makes pretty compelling evidence which is very valuable when talking to major manufacturers. Selling some to recoup some of the development costs is just a bonus. Remeber that VW/Bugatti will lose a large amount of money on every car sold and Caparo will probably at least break even so maybe it is actually cheap - at least that is what I will tell my wife

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

02GF74

posted on 8/6/07 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyps
Remember there are people who have bought Ferrari FXX's for about 3 or four times the cost of the Caparo and they are not road legal and probably nothing like as fast.

Tell me about it Really should get round to taking it back and asking for a refund but I've mislaid the recipet.

James

posted on 8/6/07 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TGR-ECOSSE
I saw it at the Autosport show as well and it did not look worth 190k. Are some of the ex McLaren guys not got something to do with it.

Yeah, I think it's Gordon Murray (chief guy behind the Mclaren F1) and a few other ex-Maclaren boys who've done it.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/6/07 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
It was a couple of Mclaren designers yep, but I think Gordon Murray only got involved later on and maybe only for bits of it, he didn't pen the initial design I dont think.

[Edited on 8/6/07 by ChrisGamlin]

omega0684

posted on 8/6/07 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
!!!!!!!!!!! 1,045 BHP PER TONNE !!!!!!!!!!!

NEW PANTS PLEASE

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rob Palin

posted on 9/6/07 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
I just don't understand this kind of thing. For that money you could get yourself a Radical SR8 with a tuned Powertec V8 for proper track work *and* something reasonably exotic and brisk for road driving.

The Radical would be as quick or quicker than the Caparo on track and you could still have an entertaining drive on public roads. It's a harsh reality that nothing that can offer "F1 performance" on track will ever be as quick or even vaguely usable on the road - at least until someone resurfaces all our roads, gets rid of traffic, speed bumps cameras and anything else that typically gets in the way of a good blast these days.

However if someone wants to spend nearly £200k trying to tell everyone else how rich and/or cool they are, then couldn't they just use the money to buy themselves a primetime TV advert or something?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.