Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to shine paint work?
nib1980

posted on 22/6/07 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
How to shine paint work?

Afternoon all,

Just wanted to aska quick question before i nip out for tea, so apologies if i don't reply quickly

I'vce painted the bodywork myself, using 2pack.

I've flatted it completely flat with 1200 wet and dry

I then used G3 on it

I then used metallic T-Cut on it

I then waxed it

Its lovely and smooth, but the shine is good , but it doesn't reflect like my tin top. if i look straight at it I can see shapes, but not definition, If I look perpendicular to it it gives a good reflection.

I'd love it to have a better reflection, anyone got any suggestions?

at the end of the day so long as the whole car is even it's not the end of the world, but I get a bit bottom retentive about things and i don't want it to ruin the car for me

Many thanks

worX

posted on 22/6/07 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
does it have a shimmery "orange peel" look to it?

If so then you need to flat it back some more, but be very very careful, as the orange peel effect could of been created initially in your base coats if you didn't flat it back properly in between those coats.

It'll be a case of do you feel confident in your initial preperation because if that wasn't done perfect then you could be risking the "pretty good" finish you've got at the moment, trying to make it just that bit better!

Steve

nib1980

posted on 22/6/07 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX
does it have a shimmery "orange peel" look to it?

If so then you need to flat it back some more, but be very very careful, as the orange peel effect could of been created initially in your base coats if you didn't flat it back properly in between those coats.

It'll be a case of do you feel confident in your initial preperation because if that wasn't done perfect then you could be risking the "pretty good" finish you've got at the moment, trying to make it just that bit better!

Steve

nope I flatted back between all the coats, and the top coat is flat as it comes, got rid of all the orange peel.

many thanks though

chris_harris_

posted on 22/6/07 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
In my fairly limited experience of paint finishes, 2k is nice and flexible and goes on in good layers, and yes you can flat it and play about, but the real shine comes from clear coat on top. altenatively try autoglym super resin polish after your g3, much better than t cut and easier to use, followed by a coat of ultra high gloss protection, also auto glym. Trouble is after all thgis, if you decide to paint again on top, you have to make sure its all off. Be interested to see how you get on though, as i've got all this to come!!!!

Regards Chris

emsfactory

posted on 22/6/07 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
I use a coarser compound from 1200.

I use g6 then g3.

In the manufacturers website it says use g6 from 1500 upwards. So using g3 on 1200 is probably a bit fine to start with.

martin1973

posted on 22/6/07 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
thing is with 2k you gotta polish it b4 it hardens to much normally in the first week.

martin

CAD Monkey

posted on 22/6/07 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Did you use base coat and laquer/top coat or a straight gloss?

Either way I always give several decent coats of laquer and with a bit of polishing it comes out like a mirror.

[Edited on 22/6/07 by CAD Monkey]

nib1980

posted on 22/6/07 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris_harris_
In my fairly limited experience of paint finishes, 2k is nice and flexible and goes on in good layers, and yes you can flat it and play about, but the real shine comes from clear coat on top. altenatively try autoglym super resin polish after your g3, much better than t cut and easier to use, followed by a coat of ultra high gloss protection, also auto glym. Trouble is after all thgis, if you decide to paint again on top, you have to make sure its all off. Be interested to see how you get on though, as i've got all this to come!!!!

I've got the autoglym polishes in the garage so i'll have a go with them in the mrning and let you know

nib1980

posted on 22/6/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martin1973
thing is with 2k you gotta polish it b4 it hardens to much normally in the first week.

hmmm that may be a factor, as it's been on for 2 weeks due to bad weather not letting me get her out the garage

nib1980

posted on 22/6/07 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CAD Monkey
Did you use base coat and laquer/top coat or a straight gloss?

Either way I always give several decent coats of laquer and with a bit of polishing it comes out like a mirror.

[Edited on 22/6/07 by CAD Monkey]

nope just 2k gloss paint over the suitable primer. laquer may be the way to go if none of the above works!

stuart_g

posted on 22/6/07 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
You need to definately lacquer it if you want depth and shine to the paint. I have done some of my model jets in 2K and always lacquered them.
oadamo

posted on 22/6/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
buy one of those cheap £15 polisher machines and some cutting compound and spend a couple of hours polishing and it will come up like new.or b&q sell a angle grinder with speed control for £25 thats what i use and its perfect
adam

edspurrier

posted on 22/6/07 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Try a couple of coats of Klasse acryclic sealant - clear plastic layer which can be waxed on top, should help
DarrenW

posted on 25/6/07 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Ive simply mopped with G3 and then used G10 before and it got a good shine. Followed by good wax polish.

All done a couple of weeks or so after painting to let it harden fully.

I cant remember how the Ferecla G grades work but local bodyshop has a poster up so should be available off the web. I just used what i was recommended and it worked fine.

http://www.farecla.com/photos//pdf/automotive/Updates0507/AutoBroProcesscomp.pdf

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.