Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Securing CV boots
BenB

posted on 3/7/07 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Securing CV boots

Other than pulling the cable ties blooming tight is there some secret to securing CV boots?

The CV boot on my tintop split (to be honest the rubber was cracked but the split didn't go all the way through the rubber, I though the MOT tester was a bit overly keen) and being a lazy git I replaced it with a Stickyboot... Only trouble is the flipping thing keeps on slipping off the hub... I took it for the MOT retest yesterday and it had already come off by the time I got there. The kit came with the metal retaining straps but they were worse than cable ties....

Is there a secret trick or is it just a matter of redoing it until it decides to hold? I've tried cleaning the groove in the hub but no difference... Last time I did one it came of twice then held (a year later it was still securely in place).....

dan__wright

posted on 3/7/07 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
the glue on ones are poo tbh and as youve said, by the time youve got to the mot they have come off, would just pull the shaft and fit a new one with a cone.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

CAD Monkey

posted on 3/7/07 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
I replaced some boots on the steering rack on my MR2 Turbo and they had a bloody great jubilee clip on each end - much better than zip/cable ties...

HTH

BenB

posted on 3/7/07 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Yup. The gluey ones are poo. But its for my tintop Micra that apart from occasional trips to the tip with rubbish from my garage is only usually used for weekly 3 mile shopping trips... I certainly wouldn't use it on the Locost!! The thought of trying to crack the balljoints on the Micra is not appealing though- they're untouched after 11 years and if they're anything as rusty as the rest of the car they'll put up one hell of a fight!!! Actually, I was quite suprised the car didn't fail on emissions as the cat is making a terrible rattling at certain rpm- if it does ever fail the car's going to the big crusher in the sky as the exhaust manifold has to come off to change the cat and the manifold bolts are rusted to hell and back- it'd take spark erosion to get those suckers out....

Jubilee clip sounds interesting- I might even have one in the garage big enough. It might cause some funky vibrations but it rarely goes above 40mph so shouldn't be a major problem....

jollygreengiant

posted on 3/7/07 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Lazy-ness. The refuge of wannabee mechanics.
Buy the proper after market boot and fit it properly. I have never had a problem getting Nissans apart even allowing for age.
Do the job properly and DO IT ONCE.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

BenB

posted on 3/7/07 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
It's tempting to do it properly but the Tax ran out yesterday so no MOT, no tax So it'll be a "bodge" the CV boot time....
CAD Monkey

posted on 3/7/07 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I don't see how a jubilee clip is not a 'proper' method of fixing a rubber boot!?!?!

The jubilee clips on the boots for the MR2 were supplied by Toyota so I'd say that's a correct fixing method...

BenB

posted on 3/7/07 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
My only worry is that the screw mechanism on the jubilee clip will induce a fair amount of weight imbalance..... But otherwise it looks a good option....
britishtrident

posted on 3/7/07 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Decent quality cable ties are fine -- no problem

But clean the grease off where the rubber sits on the CV joint.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

rusty

posted on 3/7/07 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
That is the trick clean all the grease out, 5 or even 10 min to be sure it is all off the boot and joint will do the job.

Also the metal ties are good if you push the clampy bit in with a small screw driver as you pull them tight.

NS Dev

posted on 6/7/07 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Not to fix a dodgy split boot, but my ex girlfriends one year old corsa's outer cv boot came off, for no apparent reason, and they are a horrible hard plastic that no cable tie or metal tie seemed to hold on, they all popped off if you steered at all.

A jubilee clip held it fine and no vibrations at 100mph.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

hoots_min

posted on 13/7/07 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Simpler solution, some wire wrapped round and twisted at the ends. Has held for me in the past no problems, bugger to get off without nipping boot though!

Today is a good day: I achieved new heights of ineptitude.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.