Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diff top up allen screw
RichardK

posted on 3/7/07 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Diff top up allen screw

Got my car on four wheel for the first time since paint, wanted to put in some diff oil but now tried to losen the screw and the bloody thing won't budge.

15 minutes with the air impact hasn't touched it. Any ideas? Couldn't find my cold chisel which on reflection was probably a good thing with the frame of mind I was in!

Any ideas better than sticking a slot it the top and trying to tap it round witht the cold chisel.

Cheers

Rich

TIA

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty

posted on 3/7/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Some cheap impact guns are not the best (not saying yours is cheep). Try a long breaker bar, put some pressure on it and had some one tap the socket at the same time.
roadrunner

posted on 3/7/07 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I remember the first time i tried to undo mine, i ended up lowering the car down onto a block of wood, so the weight of the car released the bloody thing.

jos

posted on 3/7/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
another vote for a breaker bar

its the only way i got mine to open.

its basically a long wrench to give you extra leverage

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

Davg

posted on 3/7/07 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
If you have access to welder, cut a piece of allen key or bolt with a good head & firmly insert into plug & give it a blast with welder. combination of heat will release & give decent key for to release for next time.
dave r

posted on 3/7/07 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
will 2nd the welder idea. i rounded my allen socket out before i welded a nut on the end... came out easy then
RichardK

posted on 3/7/07 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a go with the breaker bar and an allen key sawed off and put in a strong 10 mm socket, allen key lost! Twice!

Think I going to have to try a proper 10mm hex socket, hopefully one with a life guarentee!

Rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 3/7/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Will try the welder idea, was just was a bit concerned about the bolt expanding and cracking the dif. Am I worring unnessarily?

Rich

Catpuss

posted on 3/7/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
My first one wouldn't budge with even a good abuse with a blow lamp. The allen head chewed up too. In the end I just got another back plate with an allen bolt that came out easily and put that on.

I've still not got the old one out. I may try welding a bolt in there at some point.

Davg

posted on 3/7/07 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
No worries as above, been done on 3diffs no probs
RichardK

posted on 3/7/07 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark, I did try tapping it with a hammer as you suggested at the outset, the internal of the hex is starting to go, I suppose thats to be expected after 15 minutes on the impact driver and 2 unsuccessfull goes with a breaker bar!

Will try the weld thing maybe with 4 small blobs on the edge of the dif bolt and try with another bit of allen key, failing that as a last resort it's a big weld and another allen bolt into the key itself.

If after all that it still is there it's another backplate!

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, much appreciate it.

Cheers

Rich

Macbeast

posted on 3/7/07 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
It's not an Allen screw, it's a star thingy like many on the Sierra.

Halfords sell the star to fit a 1/2 inch socket drive.

RichardK

posted on 3/7/07 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Mines deffo a hex and not a torx, maybe they used a mixture of both depending on age.

Rich

Macbeast

posted on 3/7/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Oh ok .

I thought since the diff cover bolts are star that the filler would be star too.

Top it up through the breather ?? Through the drive shaft holes ??
Good luck anyway.

[Edited on 3/7/07 by Macbeast]

BenB

posted on 3/7/07 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Weld something on- the heat will help. Then smack it hard with a hammer
tomblyth

posted on 4/7/07 at 02:35 AM Reply With Quote
try a 110v impact wrench from tool hire shop/ (mine gives 400nm ) and thats more than twice the air ratched I've got ... sofar I've not found a bolt it could'nt get out..

http://www.milwaukee-et.com/int/int_products.nsf/Files/IPWE400RQX190.JPG/$FILE/IPWE400RQX190.JPG

t.j.

posted on 4/7/07 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
Take a good strong hex, and a long tube on the wrench.

Don't like the heating on Ali.

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

DaveFJ

posted on 4/7/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I can also recommend the welding route.. worked for me - no problems. in fact I have left the plug with the bolt welded to it rather than buy a new one!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Agriv8

posted on 4/7/07 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
I can also recommend the welding route.. worked for me - no problems. in fact I have left the plug with the bolt welded to it rather than buy a new one!

Same here,

Marc at mnr Puddle welded a M18 / M20 bolt to the remains of allan bolt.

The the breaker bat and a lump of CDS tube ( she gave way in the end )

fitted the welded version back in after topping up with oil.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

NS Dev

posted on 4/7/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have a decent nut puddle welded onto mine, they never come out, all the ones I have removed (quite a few! ) have needed the welder!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

andyace

posted on 4/7/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I just filled mine through the driveshaft holes before fitting the drive shafts, breather would also work however its a little hole!
RichardK

posted on 4/7/07 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Was going to try the welder trick but preffered to try and get it out without damaging it so...

Bought a 1/2"socket with a 10mm Hex in T2 steel and with the crack bar it has finally secumbed! On examination the hex on the plug is still ok. It cost a fiver which is about the same as a new plug if I really knackered it welding it but....

Apparently the plugs are no longer available from ford (part number 6118746)

Maybe available from aftermarket sources but not from Ford.
https://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=427&osCsid=45bd9999e891561ba95db676c3ffc8ee

quote:
Originally posted by Calvinx
when i say tap the bolt, I usually welt it with such force you wince thinking you might actually crack the cover...... but it usually works

Obviously my balls aren't as big as yours! Didn't dare to hit it that hard

Anyway thanks guys for the suggestions, I appreciate your time.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 4/7/07 by RichardK]

THAWA

posted on 4/7/07 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
What about replacing the cover with one that doesn't have a stuck fill plug?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.