Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CB600 Carbs Pipe ID
RichardK

posted on 27/1/08 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
CB600 Carbs Pipe ID

Hi, could somebody please tell me what the various pipes are on these carbs.

Also if anybody has a manual for a bike with these carbs I would be really gratefull as all the manuals I've found are for the later models with TB's.

TIA

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
givemethebighammer

posted on 27/1/08 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
look the same as my blackbird ones

3 is the fuel pipe (from pump / tank)
2 is the breather or the top of the vacuum chamber
1 is the breather for the float chamber

On the bike I think 1+2 would have been connected to the airbox. I have just put some longish bits of pipe on 1+2 on my carbs and had no problems

[Edited on 27/1/08 by givemethebighammer]

Stuart_B

posted on 27/1/08 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
they look similar to my cbr600 fx carbs:

1+2, i think are heater pipes
3, fuel in

1+2 put in to the airbox.

David Jenkins

posted on 27/1/08 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with everything the bighammer man said, except (1).

That is a connection to the top of the float chamber, but it was originally intended to allow the use of a catalytic converter with carbs. When the ignition was on, the top of the float chamber was at atmospheric pressure, which meant that the fuel could get sucked up through the jets into the airflow. If the ignition stopped working while the engine was running unburnt fuel could have got into the cat, ruining it, so a solenoid valve operated when the ignition was turned off, which put the vacuum from the venturi into the top of the float chamber. This meant that the float chamber pressure was the same as the in the venturi, so no fuel could be sucked up.

So - in our application - it should be left open to atmosphere to let the carbs work normally. You might wish to put some sort of filter over the tube inlet to stop muck getting in, but it's not essential.

You may also find a Y-shaped inlet between each outside pair of carbs - this was connected to the bike's coolant system to give a form of de-icing. This can also be left disconnected without any problems.

HTH,
David

RichardK

posted on 27/1/08 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys !

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.