Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Galvanising
garage19

posted on 31/10/03 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Galvanising

Shortly ordering an indy chassis from MK.
Just wondered if galvanising would be an option as instead of powder coating?
I have a friend who owns a fab shop and he is always getting big chassis sized bits of fire escape and the likes galvanised.
Don't know how it compares in cost or durability?
What d'ya reckon?

locoboy

posted on 31/10/03 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Only thing i would say is that it wont look as nice a powder coat and also have a search for galvanising on there as there was a thread not so log ago about welding galv steel. I know you wont need to do much in the way of welding on an MK chassis but something to consider for the furure should you want to add some non standard parts that require brackets etc welding on.

ATB
Locoboy

garage19

posted on 31/10/03 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thats why i was thinking about galvanising. Order a bare chassis, sort engine mounts and other brackets and then galvanise. Thought it might be cheaper than £180 for powder coating. Would get the wishbones sprayed with the body.

mad4x4

posted on 14/11/03 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
I made a mistake when I ordered my chassis and forgot / missed the powder coating option. so neadless to sey I picked mine up one january and towed it on a trailer to NE Scotland. Two days later it had started to rust ( Bare steel, + Salt + Scottish weather).

Anyhow, I did mu research and found a compound called ZINGA.

http://www.zinga-uk.com/.

I spoke to the aberdeen adgent and they shot blasted and then coated my car chassis and the wish bones hub carriers etc.

I then over painted by hand with a two pack paint.

1 Year down the line perfect.

All i'll say is read all the testimonials and make your descision have a look at this one its what made up my mind.

http://www.zinga-uk.com/marine.html#Buoys

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

theconrodkid

posted on 14/11/03 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
there was a long thread some time ago about galv,opionion was is added a lot of weight and there was a chance of distorting the chassis due to the heat involved

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

mangogroove

posted on 14/11/03 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Galvanising

The other problem with the hot dip galvy is that you have to drill holes in all the tubes so the expansion of the air in the sealed tubes doesnt cause explosions
Last time I galvy dipped bushbars for my VW BAJA BUG we had to drill 13mm holes at each end of the sealed tubes......mmm I think a locost chassis would be like swiss cheese after that..

rell

posted on 14/11/03 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
theres two ways of doing gav one is hot diped (cheep) and the other is electroplating (not so cheep) if you have it electroplated you have a thiner coat and a better bond with no of the heat probs.

you have to drill holes in the frame so it gets the inside of the tubes

Mark Allanson

posted on 14/11/03 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
The main problen is not the perforated chassis, or the distortion, or the fact that the only paint that will stick to galv is epoxy 2K, or the additional weight. Its that the prep acid dip will strip 0.25 mm from the steel, both sides, so your chassis is only 1.1mm steel, significantly weakened.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

rell

posted on 17/11/03 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
you don't have to dip it i acid to prep it even thow it is the best way. you can have it shot blasted or even hit it wit the wire brush just as long as you have got rid of all the rust and grease.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.