Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car vs Lorry
iank

posted on 10/7/08 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Car vs Lorry

Just goes to show how much damage is done to a car in a head to head with a lorry (or tree/bridge etc)

The Mondeo is roughly the same length as a mini (maybe a little shorter) by the looks of things.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7498984.stm

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/7/08 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen uncensored pictures of an identical crash where the occupants were...well not looking very normal. As you say hit a truck, tree or bridge and you stand no chance above about 30mph, tree’s being about the worst things to hit (even a skinny little thing) as they rip cars apart. There’s plenty of such sights on the web.

Cars are like paper in a crash.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 10/7/08 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Very nasty - i know that stretch of road and the collision isnt actually on the worst of the bends which are behind the wagon and further up close to the edge of town. Sad to say but looks like another tragic waste of life through a young driver probably trying to show off.
Dangle_kt

posted on 10/7/08 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
poor trucker.

6 of them in a mondeo... there are only 5 seatbelts!! I wonder how they died, probably the ones in the front were taken out by the 4 in the back hitting them.

02GF74

posted on 10/7/08 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
saw that on the news. nasty.

also said on the news that it was a dangerous road!!!

WTF? surely it is the driving that is dangerous by not taking into acocunt the road and conditions.

oooh, I've reall gone and

ReMan

posted on 10/7/08 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I know the road and area well.
It's not good, however it happened and regardless of blame

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/7/08 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
young, car over loaded, bad roads, showing off and a big truck.....inevitable result

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 10/7/08 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Only 5 mins away from me
daviep

posted on 10/7/08 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
young, car over loaded, bad roads, showing off and a big truck.....inevitable result

You better get in contact with the police, they are appealling for witnesses.

I presume you were a witness seeing as you know exactly what happened and who is to blame?

striker16v

posted on 10/7/08 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Having driven that road a lot when I was at college and before the speed limit was reduced, it was a quick fun stretch of road! (and no i never broke the speed limit )
There is a bridge just before the accident and they have strightened the road before it where they have built a factory, making it faster, the bridge is on a slight kink in the road and off camber. From experiance you can get your car to go very light there.

Liam

posted on 10/7/08 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Am I the only person who's noticed what side of the road the lorry is on?

Of course the fact that the lorry driver was quickly released almost certainly means that what could be implied from my statement above is false! Further highlights the errors of making judgments without sufficient evidence, I guess.

Liam

Peteff

posted on 10/7/08 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
It's impossible to say what happened from looking at a picture, the lorry could have swerved to miss the oncoming car or vice versa. The road has a double white and the lorry driver has been released as a witness. Leave the speculation to them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Liam

posted on 10/7/08 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
It's impossible to say what happened from looking at a picture

Exactly my point!

Richard Quinn

posted on 10/7/08 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
7 years ago I lost my little sister in a road accident. She was in an Alfa Gtv and had a head-on with an 8 wheel tipper wagon which basically ended up driving over the offside of the Alfa. Evidence suggested that she crossed the white line so if there is any blame to lay at anyone's door, it rests with my sister and whilst that is quite hard to deal with, I have to say that I have always really felt for the guy driving the truck. He has not driven a wagon since.
Her car was not overloaded and she wasn't showing off. Possibly a momentary lapse of concentration, a distraction - whatever. You can't prejudge these situations.

rusty nuts

posted on 10/7/08 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I lost my father due to a head on collision 13 years ago , the guy that hit him had a sprained wrist and was in the hospital where my father was . I was very tempted to add to his injuries until the traffic cop who was investigating told us that he had been forced off the road by a woman who didn't stop . He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's very easy in these circumstances to make the wrong assumptions. My thoughts are with the families of the victims and if the truck driver is innocent, with him.
Davey D

posted on 10/7/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
a few years ago i was was involved in a crash with a lorry... it was 100% my fault... pushing too hard whilst tired on my way home late at night, i was coming off a large roundabout, and the back end of the car came out, spun 180degrees, and hit a lorry parked up in a layby luckily i was the only person in the car, as anyone in the back wouldnt be here to tell the story, and luckily i hit him backwards, else i probably wouldnt be here to tell the story either

a picture tells 1000 words

JoelP

posted on 10/7/08 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
its a tragedy whichever way up you turn it. Trucker was probably arrested due to the wrecks being on the wrong side of the road for him, but we can safely say that a truck hitting a car will carry on for some distance, who can guess what happened before or after the impact. Just hope for his sake his tacho and hours are in order.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.