Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheelbase difference!
phil T5

posted on 17/8/08 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Wheelbase difference!

Following on from my checking of the rear live axxel set up I think the weheelbase on my car is different side to side

The drivers side is 1 cm (10mm) less that the passenger side.

Ive only measured this with a tap measure from tyre contact patch to tyre contact patch.

How important is this?

martyn_16v

posted on 17/8/08 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure the steering is dead ahead? If it's slightly off to one side and you're measuring from the outside of the tyre it'll easily move by more than that.

phil T5

posted on 17/8/08 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I also measure wheel centre to centre and the contact patches both with wheels straight ahead, I think
Richard Quinn

posted on 17/8/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
As above, make sure steering is straight ahead and measure from centre of wheel/hub to centre of wheel/hub. It appears to be quite common on kits that one side is different to the other. Annoying really as these are supplied by companies extoling their engineering prowess and telling us how everything is jig-built.
Ivan

posted on 17/8/08 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
As long as the axle is perpendicular to the centre line of the chassis I wouldn't worry about it - many perfectly good tintops have more than 1 cm difference in wheelbase.

phil T5

posted on 17/8/08 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

puts may mind at rest

Presumably this cannot be easily altered

It would involve changing length of the rear axle pivot links or altering the from supension

Both messy and likely to have serious consequences

Whats the best way of making sure live axle is straight

Should it be exactly at right angles to the line between the front wheel axis and the same distance

If its measured from the chassis, can i assume the chassis is straight in relation to the fromt wheels

procomp

posted on 18/8/08 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

As mentioned above many of the KIT manufacturers cant get it right. Other thing to take into consideration is the amount of castor on each side. Again most manufacturers struggle to get within 1-1.5 degrees of each other. This could account for 4-6 mm of the problem.

The one way of correcting the problem at the rear if the problem lies in the chassis accuracy and the axle dose not line up down the thrust line of the car is to make the trailing arms adjustable for length. Then you can adjust out any alignment problems down the thrust line.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Delinquent

posted on 18/8/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just have a look at an early Renault 5 to appease your concerns... they don't measure the difference in mm, they measure it in inches

As above just check it's nice and straight.

procomp

posted on 18/8/08 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi although to be fair comparing a 800-900kg tintop to a light weight car that doesn't have big soft bushes for suspension is a bit of a poor comparison.

Anything more than 5-6 mm will show up when driving these sorts of car.

Just ask the locost racers who have modded theres to be within 1mm .

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.