Board logo

How to cut round tube "square"
smart51 - 19/6/11 at 07:56 AM

I have to cut 32 pieces off a round tube, each 24mm long. The cuts have to be square across the tube. With RHS it would be easy - put a tee square across the tube and mark it off. How can I do this with round tube? I've done a couple by eye but when welded up look way off. I'm looking for less than 0.5mm runout.

omega 24 v6 - 19/6/11 at 08:02 AM

take a piece of paper ( square ) wrap it round the tube so that the edges line up ( i.e. no overlaps at the sides ) mark it and cut.

Simples

SeaBass - 19/6/11 at 08:07 AM

Make a very simple jig from wood - like a mitre box. It would take minutes. You could even add a length stop - just push the tube up to it and cut.

robocog - 19/6/11 at 08:09 AM

Use a chop saw and clamp it so it can only be cut square?

Or get a chunk of steel with a hole the same diameter as the tube and clamp it (thinking slit down one edge and them use a vice to hold the tube and use this as a guide)

get a piece of tubing - Plastic/PVC would do - that will just slide over the piece you want to cut and use that as a guide for either marking out or for direct cutting against depending on method of cutting
(can jubilee clip it in place if you slit the guide piece - the guide could be faced off in a lathe if necessary)

Will try and use MSPaint to try and illustrate the above if my descriptions are a bit vague

Regards
Rob

robocog - 19/6/11 at 08:14 AM

Or wood as pointed out...

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Regards
Rob

wicket - 19/6/11 at 08:25 AM

Can't you find somebody with a lathe that could do them for you? Some one on here a perhaps.

More accurate and consistent.

[Edited on 19/6/11 by wicket]

matt_gsxr - 19/6/11 at 08:31 AM

What about one of these?

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/prod_7914/plumbing-tools/steel-and-stainless-pipe-cutters/rothenberger-inox-no-30-stainless-steel-tube-cutter-3mm-30 mm.html

zilspeed - 19/6/11 at 09:48 AM

Or, get a bit of square tube which the round just fits inside.
Use that as your cutting guide.

Or, cut long to allow fettling.
A sanding station with disc and table would do this.

Lathe would be best if absolutely square is essential though.

[Edited on 19/6/11 by zilspeed]

llionellis - 19/6/11 at 10:06 AM

Clamp a jubilee clip round the tube and use it as a saw guide.

TheGiantTribble - 19/6/11 at 10:55 AM

IMHO the pipe cutter pictured earlier is the easy cheepo I mean 'Locost' answer.

But I seem to remember they cut better with a quick squirt of WD40 to the cutting wheel, helps stop the cutter from spiraling down the tube/pipe.

smart51 - 19/6/11 at 12:12 PM

All good ideas. I quite like the jubilee clip one. Thanks.