Board logo

Look at the size of my ... engine mounts
FuryRebuild - 1/4/16 at 11:08 AM

So, a while ago, I made some engine mounts but due to a major packaging issue (everything was fouling the dry-sump pump) I have had to replay my engine mounts.

Rather then make new brackets and weld them on the chassis, I went looking for a better solution, that would allow me to bolt to the chassis. I found a set of Honda Civic Type R mounts on eBay, and they came in from China.

They're bigger than they look in the picture on eBay. MUCH MUCH BIGGER.

I've included a pound coin in the picture to give you an impression of the size. They weigh nothing mind.

Description
Description

the through-hole is 15mm, and the mounting holes are 14mm

I will rework the tube that comes from the plates on the engine block, to mate up to the bracket and cross-bolt, a bit like a massive clevis. I can't help wondering if I could make a decent mount out of CF ...

sdh2903 - 1/4/16 at 04:34 PM

After a major rebuild you are completing at no doubt significant cost, you really going to trust a cheapo set of chinese mounts with holding your engine in place? Just saying......

FuryRebuild - 1/4/16 at 05:00 PM

Yup - they're cast aluminium and massively over-engineered for what I need. They were about £48 for the pair, and seem well done. They've been milled from solid and the central bush is well in place.

They're a nice bit of kit. Just HUGE.

Julian B - 26/4/16 at 07:20 PM

That would worry me too on two accounts

1 cast aluminium has a tendancy for catastrophic failure.... ie it doesnt bend. If its not been made by a manufacturer thats willing to put their name and reputation on it then i would walk away

2 are you bolting this to inch square tube? if so how big are those mounting holes? welding a bracket speads the load over its whole length , here the forces are pretty much through the bolt points

Thats an amatures POV so feel free to shoot me down in flames

Happy building