Board logo

XE engine mount update and upper Column mount
omega 24 v6 - 14/4/06 at 06:32 PM

Here's todays toils for your general appraisal. Have I gone overboard with the engine mount and does the steering column bracket need a brace to the P tube.

column mount
column mount

Upper column mount
Upper column mount

Engine mount
Engine mount

And yes I do know the engine mount is not welded

quattromike - 14/4/06 at 07:04 PM

Does look a bit heafty but thats ok it's best to build your car as heavy as you can coz that way there is more chance of me overtaking you
I used the sierra mountsand altered them to suit the xe. But I would like to find stiffer rubbers coz it seems a bit rocky I don't know how much it should move but it's probly about half an inch from side to side by pushing and pulling it by hand( useing a bit of force right enough) heres an early pic: Rescued attachment PC18005330.JPG
Rescued attachment PC18005330.JPG

MikeRJ - 14/4/06 at 07:57 PM

The engine mounts look fine, but you'll need some bracing to the back of the pedal box.

omega 24 v6 - 14/4/06 at 08:02 PM

Mmmm I'm still undecide about the pedal box. I'm finding it hard to justify a bias box setup at the moment and cannot decide about whether I want to go the bottom mount route. Decisions decisions

mickebo - 14/4/06 at 09:55 PM

my mounts Rescued attachment 100_1672.JPG
Rescued attachment 100_1672.JPG

MikeRJ - 15/4/06 at 12:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
Mmmm I'm still undecide about the pedal box. I'm finding it hard to justify a bias box setup at the moment and cannot decide about whether I want to go the bottom mount route. Decisions decisions

I'm in exactly the same position, same engine, same pedal box and mine is currently mounted like yours (but on thicker bits of metal). However, I am very tempted to go for floor mounted pedals, especialy as I need a hydraulic clutch master cylinder now.

NS Dev - 20/4/06 at 10:06 AM

Engine mounts look fine, here's an alternative take on the mounts for an XE in my car:

Offside engine mount
Offside engine mount

Nearside Engine mount
Nearside Engine mount

yours look stronger, think either will be fine!

iank - 20/4/06 at 10:31 AM

Was reading about pedal boxes the other day.
Conclusion seemed to be:

Floor mounted are better for racing/trackdays because arc of movement for angle and pedal are better matched, and weight is a little lower (i.e. COG) - not sure how much that would matter in reality.

Pendulum are better in road applications where you might be wearing slightly dirty shoes/do more miles because the pivots won't get crap in them and wear excessively. They can also be cheaper since you can reuse donor parts more easily.

As always do what you think is best for you, as there isn't an obviously right answer.

ned - 20/4/06 at 10:53 AM

more talk of xe engine mounts:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=26304

[Edited on 20/4/06 by ned]