Board logo

threaded tube for bones
Simon164 - 6/7/06 at 08:09 PM

Where do people get threaded tube (female) for male threaded TREs, ie for Wishbones using rose joints not plastic bushes?

Do you folks buy this stuff (if so where from) or are you fabbing it?

Thanks,

Simon

Mark Allanson - 6/7/06 at 08:20 PM

I used lolocost ones bought from Exeter show. The quality was so bad that the ends wouldn't run in the treads. I had to buy a tap to clean them up! I would have been better just buying the tap and some tube and doing it myself.

t.j. - 6/7/06 at 08:23 PM

Home made (first by buying a seamless tube)

For the front upper wishbones bought a m20x1.5 tap to make the inner thread.

For the rear i use M12 as it comes standard to the rose joints around here

[Edited on 6/7/06 by t.j.]

Simon164 - 6/7/06 at 09:14 PM

Thanks guys. Sounds like fabbing them is the way to go.

TJ, what size inner / outer fiameter tube did you use for the M12 rose joints?

procomp - 7/7/06 at 07:02 AM

Hi if using rose joints on suspension most people wouldent use a metric thread . the racing industry standard (what 99.9% of people use) is a unf thread witch gives a finer adjustment per half turn of the joint for much finer setting of the suspension. Do a bit of research for the size of thread to use most popular for this type of car is usualy a 1/2" unf thread with either a 7/16" or 1/2" bore end but others are available. I belive somebody on here sells a lot of these joints but no idea whitch ones or what quality again a bit of research this has been done on the wscc forum quite a few times as well as on here i would imagine.

cheers matt

nitram38 - 7/7/06 at 07:12 AM

It is difficult to get tubing with the right outer size and the correct inner size for threading. Because my wishbones are longer than most, I used 25mm tube with 3mm wall. I had bushes made, 20mm dia 35mm long with 1/2" UNF thread.
I cut my tubes so that a 30mm long section is removed from one half of the tube and the bush is clamped in from the side.
This means that instead of the usual circle of weld that you would get on the end of the bushes, you get 2 half circles of weld at each end of the bush and two 30mm long welds at either side of the bush.
1/2" UNF is the way to go as finer threads are stronger than courser metric ones. That is why they use them for seat belt bolts.

Simon164 - 7/7/06 at 12:27 PM

Many thanks,.

Sounds like 1/2" UNF is the way forward. I like nitram38's idea, sounds stronger than my planned 'circle of weld' method.

Simon

cita2 - 8/7/06 at 05:23 PM

I wonder why nobody uses those long coupling nuts instead of making treaded bushes.
They sure are available in 1/2" unf and mayby the hexagonal shape is what holds people back using them.

Confused but excited. - 8/7/06 at 05:43 PM

I can't remember who did it, may have been someone on here, but I've seen half a dozen or more nuts threaded onto a piece of studding and then welded together to make the top bone end piece.
That's as Locost as it gets.