Board logo

Can i stretch the chassis?
bigjoe - 21/3/07 at 09:49 AM

Hi all,
Newbie here! Is it possible to stretch the book chassis as im 6'7" and would like to build myself a toy.
I like the site,nice to meet you all

Joe

Chr!S - 21/3/07 at 09:54 AM

You'd be suprised as its fairly large! Try making a mock up of the bottom frame out of wood (or just putting stuff on the floor and measuring ). I'd recommend going slightly wider.

Of course im 5-9 so the chassis is actually a bit too long for me (im going to have to use adjustable runners) but at 6-7 id say go wider (+4 is popular) and perhaps try 2 to 4" longer if you need it

Blakey_boy - 21/3/07 at 09:57 AM

For extra length try the McSorley 442 which is 2 ins longer

ecosse - 21/3/07 at 10:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Blakey_boy
For extra length try the McSorley 442 which is 2 ins longer

Actually 4" longer/wider, and 2" higher

Cheers

Alex

russbost - 21/3/07 at 10:26 AM

Although it's a slightly different sort of thing I cut my chassis in half & put an extra 2' into it - anythingis acheivable - justdepends on your determination!

twybrow - 21/3/07 at 10:55 AM

I am 6'6" and I have just purchased a part build Stuart Taylor. The chap has set the seat about 3-4" from the rear bulkhead, and I can currently just squeeze in. When I move the seat right back, I think I will have more than enough room. They are a tight fit! Seat choice can pay a big part in available space.... Choose wisely!

For your info, from the cars I have sat in, the RAW Striker and the Tiger AVON (with floor mounted pedals) were very big inside. The Striker was particularly big for such a small car....

[Edited on 21/3/07 by twybrow]

BenB - 21/3/07 at 12:31 PM

I'm 6ft4 in a Stuart Taylor standard chassis. As already said, seat choice is important.
I went for Kirkey Prodrag seats as the layback is pretty much the same as the rear chassis panel....
Pretty comfy for me

When I drove the car without any seats there was loads of leg room- so a Striker-esque bench style seat would liberate a few extra inches...

It's also possible (depending upon the engine installation) to keep the chassis the same but move the pedal box bulkhead towards the front of the car....

[Edited on 21/3/07 by BenB]

Blakey_boy - 22/3/07 at 12:54 AM

ecosse. I stand corrected thanks for that, I ws only half awake when i replied to that

t.j. - 22/3/07 at 07:13 PM

I stretched my chassis in the drivers compartment by 100 mm and in the upper rail is put in one line with the bonnet line.

Look at the VM77, irmscher and donkervoort for the idea.

Only mine is based on the "smaller" avon though.

Grtz

quattromike - 26/3/07 at 11:36 AM

I wanted to make mine wider and longer, so when I was askin questions about "the book chasis" I came to the conclusion the design was good for that size and shape of car and any changes meant alot of rethinking everywhere else to keep strenth here an there, So decided to forgetabout a book chasis and just build my own design using small ideas from anywhere and everywhere. Which I supose we're all doing or this site wouldn't be here

kreb - 30/3/07 at 08:46 PM

I wanted to get a few extra inches out of the chasis I'm designing (Modified 442) for styling reasons, and I realized that I could acheive my goals by using assymetrical control arms - the lower front a-arm tube is perpendicular to the chasis. No significant geometry change, but it'll get the look on.