Board logo

Chassis Paint - brush or spray
SierraL_killer - 28/3/08 at 05:37 PM

This is a sort of follow up post to an earlier chassis painting thread...

If I paint my chassis with a brush is it gonna look pants? Judging by the results I've had with hammerite I cant see it being a problem - I just wondered if it was generally frowned upon by the world of Locosters?

I had intended on using Frost's paint as I've heard its pretty good stuff. Anyone else's thoughts would be greatly received.

Ta

carlknight1982 - 28/3/08 at 05:39 PM

ive used hammerite for mine and it looks great, you get alot of wastage with spraying and you have to be pretty good to avoid getting runs and stuff like that

carlknight1982 - 28/3/08 at 05:39 PM

ive used hammerite for mine and it looks great, you get alot of wastage with spraying and you have to be pretty good to avoid getting runs and stuff like that

zilspeed - 28/3/08 at 05:56 PM

I'm currently doing some bits of running gear with a can of Hammerite smooth which I had lying around. Seems a decent enough finish. These are both post electrolysis.

Will be looking to brush paint or possibly spray the chassis with the same stuff.

Hub finished
Hub finished

Steering arm finished
Steering arm finished

caber - 28/3/08 at 06:05 PM

Hammerite does not stick well to new metal, it will chip off. Using Hammerite red primer first is a much better idea then it sticks well brushed or sprayed.

Caber

speedyxjs - 28/3/08 at 06:10 PM

Im going to brush mine. I think spraying would be a waste of paint

chris_harris_ - 28/3/08 at 06:47 PM

Im using a truck enamel on mine, after spending hours taking hammerhit back off, due to it chipping very badly. Truck enamel or can be called chassis black, is cheap goes on well brushed or sprayed, looks very good afterwards and is available from most auto paint suppliers. I use Jawel in birmingham. I've only ever had good results with hammerite on rusty or sand blasted metal, when sprayed on.
Just my experiences for you to mill over!

zilspeed - 28/3/08 at 07:42 PM

As if by magic, good old Aldi may have something suitable next thursday.

Aldi metal paint

Four and a half quid a litre.
Tin of black and a tin of silver here I reckon.

RichardK - 28/3/08 at 07:46 PM

I used rustoleum, sprayed but thinned out to 30% and am really happy with the result, yes there is a lot of wastage but I kind of impatient and couldn't see me doing a good job brushing towards the end!!!

Paint Linky

Cheers

Rich

iank - 28/3/08 at 07:49 PM

Another option is a mini-roller. I've used POR-15 and a 1" brush on mine, and while not concourse it certainly doesn't look pants.

Wouldn't use hammerite on a chassis personally as it seems to chip really easily.

SeaBass - 28/3/08 at 10:04 PM

I know people will ridicule this but I'll say it anyway... A decent metal primer followed by Dulux Trade Gloss. It retains some 'flexibility' and doesn't chip off when you look at it like Hammerite.

Cheers
JC

nitram38 - 28/3/08 at 10:39 PM

Because my chassis is always going to be exposed on the Motaleira, I have done a bit of research into paints.
Powder coating looks good......for a while, but is prone to flaking etc, hammerite is a strange paint when it comes to applying extra coats, it looks good...................but chips easily. Powder coating is also a problem if you have to do any later welding alterations.
I have opted for Epoxy Mastic 121 which is supposed to bond to steel (two pack) and be able to withstand road salts and even battery acid.
Lots of magazines rate it.
I was going to spray it, but I found out that it can be brushed on as it smooths itself out.
At £108 for 5 litres (delivered) I don't want to risk wasting any by spraying it.
I am trying to get my chassis finished asap so that I can get it painted.

[Edited on 28/3/2008 by nitram38]

BenB - 28/3/08 at 10:49 PM

I know I always say this but spray cans of

Plasticoat Red oxide primer
+ Plasticoat satin black

does it for me everytime. Cheap. B+Q stock 'em and it gives a cool powder-coat type finish...

Hammerite chips like a bustard.

RazMan - 29/3/08 at 10:04 AM

I find that Smoothrite is more suited to rusted parts as it tends to 'grab' quite well to the rough surface. I used it with good results on my uprights, driveshafts etc. My secret to achieving a good finish is to first brush on a heavy coat and when it is tacky to the touch, spray a top coat on with the aerosol version - all the brushmarks dissappear and the end result looks quite like powder coating.

Peteff - 2/4/08 at 08:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
As if by magic, good old Aldi may have something suitable next thursday.

Aldi metal paint

Four and a half quid a litre.
Tin of black and a tin of silver here I reckon.

This stuff is superb, I've used it for no end of jobs and it's a tough finish. The silver is a slightly hammer effect not as lumpy as Hammerite and brushes on well. Paint it thin to undercoat and put another coat on to finish it.