Board logo

Engine conversions
ChrisLeary - 9/3/11 at 08:04 PM

Evening all, hope everyone is well?

I'll soon be looking for a kit car. But the majority of the one's I've seen have car engines in them, which seem to be cheaper than those with bike engines.

I was just wondering how much work is actually involved in converting a car engined kit to a bike engine and the sort of cost I'd be looking at?

I know there are posts in other parts of the forum about this sort of thing, but they seem to be more lists of things you need rather than a general idea of doing a conversion.

I'm an aircraft technician by trade so I should be able to cope (I hope!) but before I jump in I just wanted to consider my options.

Cheers,

Chris

tomgregory2000 - 9/3/11 at 08:12 PM

I would have thought 2-4K depending on engine for everything from start to finish

eddie99 - 9/3/11 at 08:16 PM

Firstly you would have to decide what type of Bike engine? You can pay between £500 to £3k for the engine itself. Are you looking at seven kit cars? I.e you will need a new prop.....

I'd say all in you could do a conversion for 2-5k

stevegough - 9/3/11 at 08:45 PM

Welcome to the forum - you're in great company here - plenty of other wierdos who decide (for reasons best known to themselves) to spoil a wonderful car by putting a bike engine in them.

But, WELCOME all the same!! I am just in the midst of writing up the complete costing of my car from start to on the road, I'll put a summary on here in the next day or so - but it probably won't apply to your situation.

Regards, and everyone is pretty well apart from one guy who stabbed himself with a screwdriver - 2"deep, hit the bone and decided not to bother going to hospital......

Regards, Steve.

britishtrident - 9/3/11 at 09:24 PM

Bike engines reliably produce fantastic outputs for very lightweight, but bike clutches and transmisions were never engineered to drive a car.

Major Stare - 9/3/11 at 09:33 PM

It cost me about £2,000 to convert from a x-flow to a bike engine.

Engine was £1,000 of this the rest was fitting, prop, new dials/clocks, exhaust etc.

mistergrumpy - 9/3/11 at 09:55 PM

You need a new prop, a prop adaptor, an engine and new wiring and cooling system. Then you'll probably have issues with your dials so some modifying will be needed there plus bits like new clutch and accelerator cables and a gearchange mech.
On the engine front a LOT of people nowadays on here are using the R1 but there's nowt wrong with a Fireblade or ZX9 to keep the cost down a bit.

ChrisLeary - 9/3/11 at 11:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
Firstly you would have to decide what type of Bike engine? You can pay between £500 to £3k for the engine itself. Are you looking at seven kit cars? I.e you will need a new prop.....

Yes Eddie, I'll be looking for a seven type kit.

Well it sounds alot more do-able (thats not a word I don't think, but you know what I mean!) than I thought the job would be. But at the same time, I think it'll be more cost effective to spend a bit more on a car with a bike engine already installed. that way I'll have what I want engine wise and be able to do any small bits I'd like to.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I hope the screwdriver incident victim is ok? Excuse the 'ever-so-slightly' sexual pun, but thats one helluva a gash! Were stitches needed or is he now healing ok?

Chris

brookie - 10/3/11 at 05:26 PM

that the best way to go m8 and also go test drive a few cars with diffrent engines in them then decide what 1 to go for m8
what your budget if u dont mind me asking

stevegough - 10/3/11 at 06:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisLeary

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I hope the screwdriver incident victim is ok? Excuse the 'ever-so-slightly' sexual pun, but thats one helluva a gash! Were stitches needed or is he now healing ok?

Chris

I don't know how he is - but follow the thread he posted about it.......Hole in the hand

matt_gsxr - 10/3/11 at 07:15 PM

Engine cost depends on what you want:
£300 for zzr1200, up to £3k for a Busa
Malc Yorkshire engines posts a price list and though he is more expensive than e-bay he is good, and will provide all the bits (clocks, ecu, tbi's, airbox, etc)

Propshaft; £300 bailey morris
Prop adapter; £60 sprocketadapter.co.uk
Manifold; £400 for a custom job, maybe a bit less if you can find one that fits
Engine craddle; diy
Odds and sods (plumbing); £100
Odds and sods (electrical); £100
Clutch solution; £50 + diy
Gearlever solution; £50 + diy

so about £1000 to fit an engine + the cost of the engine.

Other possible costs:
Sump baffle; dry-sump; accusump; depending on what the engine needs.
Fuel pump/swirl pot/regulator/replacement tank. depending on whether the original car is fuel injected (assuming bike engine is injected), not applicable for a carbed engine. Maybe £50 to £300 depending on what is needed.
Power commander; £200 unless you are lucky, or go with a carbed engine
Replacement diff; £50 (unless you need something esoteric like a 3.14 that zx10r probably benefit from)
Airfilter; ITB sausage thing £70, depending on whether you can use the existing airbox

A nice project, but also quite a lot of bits to do.

Come along to one of Dan (scutter) LCB meetings at the Rose Revived some time.

Matt

johny p - 10/3/11 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eddie99

yes you need a new prop what has to be properly aligned, plus go for a damper type as it takes out the shock in diff and box...

ChrisLeary - 11/3/11 at 09:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by brookie
that the best way to go m8 and also go test drive a few cars with diffrent engines in them then decide what 1 to go for m8
what your budget if u dont mind me asking

I'll have around £4000 to spend. But may be able to push that a little higher. I understand thats not alot, but with a family on the way I want a toy but I can't justify spending too much.

quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Engine cost depends on what you want:
£300 for zzr1200, up to £3k for a Busa
Malc Yorkshire engines posts a price list and though he is more expensive than e-bay he is good, and will provide all the bits (clocks, ecu, tbi's, airbox, etc)

Propshaft; £300 bailey morris
Prop adapter; £60 sprocketadapter.co.uk
Manifold; £400 for a custom job, maybe a bit less if you can find one that fits
Engine craddle; diy
Odds and sods (plumbing); £100
Odds and sods (electrical); £100
Clutch solution; £50 + diy
Gearlever solution; £50 + diy

so about £1000 to fit an engine + the cost of the engine.

Other possible costs:
Sump baffle; dry-sump; accusump; depending on what the engine needs.
Fuel pump/swirl pot/regulator/replacement tank. depending on whether the original car is fuel injected (assuming bike engine is injected), not applicable for a carbed engine. Maybe £50 to £300 depending on what is needed.
Power commander; £200 unless you are lucky, or go with a carbed engine
Replacement diff; £50 (unless you need something esoteric like a 3.14 that zx10r probably benefit from)
Airfilter; ITB sausage thing £70, depending on whether you can use the existing airbox

A nice project, but also quite a lot of bits to do.

Come along to one of Dan (scutter) LCB meetings at the Rose Revived some time.

Matt

Thanks Matt, where abouts in oxford are you? Yes it would be a great project, something I'd probably look into doing over the winter.

How do I find out about the LCB meetings then?

Cheers,

Chris

welderman - 11/3/11 at 09:42 AM

try this link if it works

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/9/viewthread.php?tid=90943

tony.g - 11/3/11 at 11:21 PM

I have recently bought a 919 locoblade and done 1 trackday in it and i can't wait to do an other one.

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!

brookie - 12/3/11 at 03:56 PM

i think u may need more money dont think 4k enough m8