Board logo

R1 no spark, please help.
kurt - 9/7/05 at 04:36 PM

I am trying to start my MK Indy R1. My problem is I have no spark at the spark plug. The car is wired using an R1 loom the same as the bike with no Vicky Greenloom. I suspected the problem was the Ignition Cut Off Relay, but I checked one in a breakers and it did the the same as mine in terms of the continuity checks explained in the Yamaha service manual. I have shorted out the side stand switch and the clutch switch, and the engine is in neutral.

I spoke to a bike mechanic who said that if the optional cyclelock had been removed, which it has but not by me, the the wires left need to be connected in a certain way to make the engine run, unfortunately he did not know how. The relay assemmbly and the start switch wires that ran to the cyclelock are already joined (disconnecting these stops the engine turning over). The nine wires to the cyclelock come from the following.

Back up fuse
Signal fuse
Relay assemble and start switch - joined
Two from the indicators
ICU
Main switch
Earth

How do I connect up the rest to get a spark?

One of you R1 builders must be able to shed some light on this problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ChrisGamlin - 9/7/05 at 05:05 PM

What year is the engine? You're right it the alarm circuit should be partially connected to bypass it. Have a look for a couple of multi-plugs near the ECU with all black wires going to them, do these multiplugs have any matching female connectors on them with bridging wires, or are they open as if just unplugged?
If they are open then Ive got a spare 2003 loom in the garage so can look at that and tell you which wires that has conected.

Also one other thing, have you bypassed the tip-over switch? This needs a resistance across it I believe, so should either have the sensor prooperly mounted on it, or put a resistor across it (470 ohm worked for me)

Chris

[Edited on 9/7/05 by ChrisGamlin]

kurt - 9/7/05 at 06:09 PM

The loom is from an 98/99 model and there are no connectors for the cyclelock, just black wires that end. I have identified all of the black wires that went to the cyclelock, I just need to know how to connect them to create the bypass. As far as the tip over switch is concerned, it hasn't got one according to the manual.

ChrisGamlin - 9/7/05 at 09:22 PM

Ah ok, the earlier loom might not have a tip over switch so thats one to eliminate.

I had a look at my spare 2003 loom and unfortunately that hasnt got the same connectors on the alarm plugs as the loom thats now in my car, as theyve been cut off.

I cant really get at the one in the car to look without taking the scuttle etc off. I would imagine its probably different to yours anyway but if you dont get an answer soon then I might have the scuttle off again in the week anyway so can look then

Chris

[Edited on 9/7/05 by ChrisGamlin]

tks - 9/7/05 at 09:35 PM

is the hayness manual not an option?

no spark is deff feed to the coils??
or feed to MCU??

Tks

kurt - 10/7/05 at 07:11 AM

Thanks for help so far, together we'll crack it.

I'm using the officical Yamaha service manual that I down loaded from elsewhere on this site. I am pretty sure I am getting power to the coils as I've tested them with a meter, but I'll check again. As for the the ICU, the clocks are working so surely there must be power through the system, but I'll check this also. Is there anyway I can test the coils for a spark when they're removed from the system to check if they're are OK, other than measuring the primary and secondary resistance?

I'll keep checking on here for any more ideas you or anyone else may have, cheers.

progers - 10/7/05 at 08:01 AM

Sounds to me as though one of the black wires needs to be earthed. In particular if one of the spare wires goes to the ECU earth it. You won't do any harm.

Cheers

Paul