Board logo

Back up needed.....
Alan B - 16/11/05 at 01:31 PM

here

Disagreement over the definition of mid-engined...one of my pet peeves...

[Edited on 16/11/05 by Alan B]

Volvorsport - 16/11/05 at 01:50 PM

theres no need to gang up on me

Alan B - 16/11/05 at 01:54 PM

There's every need.....

All in good spirits of course.....

dmottaway - 16/11/05 at 02:31 PM

I would think that if the engine is in front of the front axle, it would be front engine. Behind the rear axle, rear engine. between the axles, mid engine. Plain and simple.

"Mid means behind the driver but between the axles..." - too specific, but the accepted meaning.

at least, on this side of the pond.

dave

Alan B - 16/11/05 at 02:36 PM

Dave I agree that there is some logic in your suggestion, however you then end up with the ridiculous "front-mid" terminology to cover locosts...

To me in front of the driver is always front engined...either side of the axle.

All semantics really I guess and hardly worth argueing about....although I still do/will...

zilspeed - 16/11/05 at 02:48 PM

Just chucked my 2d worth in....

Hopefully upset everyone.

Here - direct lift from the Aston Martin website

Extraordinary engine power is not the only reason for the superb performance of the V8 Vantage. Just as important is its lightweight, all-alloy structure, which offers class-leading strength and rigidity. The front mid-engined layout & the dry sump lubrication system allows the engine to sit low ; and rear-mid transmission help provide optimum front to rear weight distribution as well as a low centre of gravity. The result is exceptional agility and inspired balance and handling.

[Edited on 16/11/05 by zilspeed]

Alan B - 16/11/05 at 02:55 PM

I've seen the "front-mid" thing thing creeping in......all just words I guess, and who knows, maybe more descriptive and logical...

Still silly IMO...

Last words on the subject from me..

Possibly..

donut - 16/11/05 at 03:29 PM

I'm with you Alan!

kreb - 16/11/05 at 04:37 PM

"Front-mid-engined" should not be confused with a "mid-engined" car which is defined as a car with the engine located between the driver and the rear wheels. Period. Exclamation point.

I never heard the term "Front-mid-engined" until just recently, and it's fairly clear that it's mainly the product of marketing people trying to gain an advantage while actually muddying the waters.

jestre - 16/11/05 at 05:01 PM

heres how I see it.

Front Engined (99% american/jap cars): engine on front wheels in front of driver

Mid Engine(MR2/ X19 /Fiero): engine between Front and rear axles behind driver

rear engine (VW bug, corvair): engine behind rear wheels and transmission

jestre - 16/11/05 at 05:04 PM

I've never heard a definition mention engine being parallel or perpendicular to the frame

Alan B - 16/11/05 at 05:06 PM

Donut, Kreb and Jestre...

Two thumbs waaaaaaaaay up..

[Edited on 16/11/05 by Alan B]

kb58 - 16/11/05 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
I've seen the "front-mid" thing thing creeping in......all just words I guess, and who knows, maybe more descriptive and logical...

Still silly IMO...

I agree Alan, it's marketting BS. Like when Chrysler designed their "cab forward" car. Pure BS, as all they really did was cram the engine compartment and use a large windshield, extending the base of it forward. What they were trying to claim was they then had some similarity to the then mid-engine cars with true cab forward design.

This is exactly the same. Since race cars are typically mid-engine, in the sense that everyone understands, some car makers try bending definitions to make you think their car has something in common with real race cars.

Yeah sure.

dl_peabody - 17/11/05 at 03:06 AM

WARNING RANT

I think that it is auto journalist caught in mastibitorial word play that make them think that they have to recraft the wheel everytime they hammer some article out. Then they have to stroke the MANUFACTURER for giving them the chance to drive the Austin Malaires QuatroInsignifico GT Sports Coup-eh. They really pile it on and say the car is cheap at Quarter Million,as if their driving it elevates them to legendary staus and somehow makes their gas smell minty fresh.

Ever wonder why they spend 65% of their time reviewing cars that 95% of their readers will probably never see outside the mag covers.

I often wonder what drivel they would whip up to describe this car....

http://dpcars.aprsworld.com/dp1bld/dp1144.jpg

Engineers Know what they built and the compromises they were forced to make...Drivers can tell you how it handles and drives or doesn't handle and shouldnt be driven...leave it to marketing to tell you it handles on rails and engineering was priority one ( and marketing half written the atricle for the auto journalist sells the auto journalist a ride for the price of a good review)

[Edited on 17/11/05 by dl_peabody]

RallyHarry - 17/11/05 at 03:32 PM

Rolls-Royce Phantom has the engine behind the front axle, hardly a midengined car is it ?

Cheers.

David Jenkins - 17/11/05 at 03:36 PM

Really, I don't care what terminology is used!

But generally I call a car with the engine in front of me "front engined", and with the engine behind it's "rear engined".

"mid-engined" I regard as a woolly description of an engine that's squashed in just behind the driver.

Just my 2p's worth...

David
(putting away his wooden spoon)

kb58 - 17/11/05 at 03:59 PM

It's just another iteration of how media keeps reinventing phrases. Remember when the word "turbo" was all over the place, on everything from computers to toilet cleaner?

Then they latched onto "system." Now everything is a "system", be it house cleaner or engine oil.

My recent favorite I view with contempt is the bastardly use of the phrase "up to..."

"This system is *guaranteed* to make you up to $50,000." They know full well people latch on to that number, though "up to" means they also guarantee zero improvement too. Weesels.

The misuse of "mid-engine" is just more of the same, media/advertising trying to rewrite a commonly understood term to make their product look better.

ned - 17/11/05 at 06:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jestre
I've never heard a definition mention engine being parallel or perpendicular to the frame

sorry to be pedantic, but isn't that what inline or transverse means??!

Ned.

kb58 - 17/11/05 at 06:43 PM

Transverse, yes, in-line, no. In-line means the cylinders are in line, in the block. A V6 is not in-line, yet can be mounted north-south or transverse.