Board logo

Weighbridge results
Worzey - 24/5/09 at 11:09 AM

Just popped to the local weighbridge (Handcross Hill A23) to see the efforts of my expensive weight saving programme.

Last time I was there I got a weight of 615kgs - much too heavy!!!!

Since then I've done the following work:

* Willwood Calipers/Discs at the front
* Lighter discs at the back
* New Team dynamics wheels with R888's
* GRP seats - replaced the Cobras
* Oddysey PC525 lightweight battery
* Lightweight flywheel
* Other weight saving work c10kgs lost
* Helium in the tyres

And the new weight...........

615kgs !!! Doh!

I'm guessing the Weighbridge is out as I think I've lost close to 30kgs-40kgs.

How accurate are these public weighbridges?

delboy - 24/5/09 at 11:11 AM

Our local one is plus or minus 20kg, if you were close to the top of the next step up before, you could be close to the next step down this time which would explain the no change result you got.

prawnabie - 24/5/09 at 11:13 AM

Bear in mind that the tolerance is given at a set weight - usually between 2 and 3 tonnes (not tons).

Weighbridges (well the ones i have worked on in the past) are notoriously inacurate at less than a tonne.

smart51 - 24/5/09 at 02:54 PM

Weighbridges for weighing lorries are expected to weigh 44 tonnes, plus a bit more, say 50 tonnes.

A commercial grade weighing scale is often rated at 5000 divisions, so 10kg steps in 50 tonnes. Depending on the grade of the equipment, linearity and error may be quoted at +/- 2 divisions or so. Avery quoted 1 division for their retail scales when I was there, others applications may well be more. Remember that scales drift and are recalibrated at intervals so it may well be that the same item may read a few divisions differently before and after calibration.

Also its true, scales don't read too well at the bottom end of their range. Use a scale that is sized for your application.

prawnabie - 24/5/09 at 03:03 PM

Thats a bit more heavy gauge than I used to work on lol! Think the max i saw was on an aggregates quarry which never saw more than 10 tonne!

stevegough - 24/5/09 at 03:08 PM

maybe first time you had a full tank and a boot full of shopping? And you were sat in it!

marcjagman - 24/5/09 at 03:47 PM

Try a local scrap metal merchant, the weigh bridges there are usually very accurate