Board logo

Clutch problem work in progress / sorted
jollygreengiant - 16/6/10 at 06:19 PM

Well I finally got into the garage this afternoon having had the car up on stands since just after stoneleigh . Anyway I felt that the problem of my clutch slipping was in part due to the clutch pedal NOT returning far enough to allow the release bearing to clear the clutch. I also felt that this was inpart due to the clevis pin saddle on the master cylinder push rod fouling on the pedal blade at the bottom. This I semi confirmed when I took the clevis pin out as I had to drift it out rather that it just pulling outon light finger pressure.
So today I finally managed to find time to get into the foot well with No1 angry grinder and modify the pedal blade below the pin hole until I could get the pin through saddle and pedal with no pressure or effort.
Suffice to sat that at some point in the future I shall have to remove the push rod and adjust its length so that I shall have a pedal that sits in the right place. As people quite frequently say a picture is worth a thousand words so.............................................................................
pedals correction started
pedals correction started

No wonder my clutch started slipping prematurely.

Just been out for a test drive, , sorted. Just need to sort out a spacer now so that it brings the pedal to a more natural position.

[Edited on 17/6/10 by jollygreengiant]

phil4521 - 16/6/10 at 07:01 PM

I had a v similar problem - I could not work out why the clutch would dully engage- So I had to do same-crappy design I think. I ended up spacing the cylinder back using a load of washers on each bolt- works a treat- saves having to shorten the rod- try it.

rusty nuts - 17/6/10 at 07:12 AM

Bet that it was a tight fit getting into the footwell Clive? As well as adjusting the length of the push rod it may be worth fitting a pedal return stop ?

coozer - 17/6/10 at 07:23 AM

As said, how on earth did you get into the footwell??

jollygreengiant - 17/6/10 at 10:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
As said, how on earth did you get into the footwell??

Have you ever seen me, my hands loiter around my ankles when I'm standing upright.

[Edited on 17/6/10 by jollygreengiant]

johhny5 - 17/6/10 at 07:31 PM

Good to hear you are somewhere near sorted, i am trying to get to the show this weekend.
To be honest im still buzzing from my track day at Rockingham on Monday.
What a great day my little car dindnt let me down.