Board logo

Gearbox oil Cooler
Cubby - 3/8/10 at 08:17 PM

Thinking of using a gearbox oil cooler . Not a clue what I need .Has anyone done this and can point me in the right direction on whats needed and how to install successfully and where to buy the items.

Many Thanks

rusty nuts - 3/8/10 at 08:23 PM

Why?

balidey - 3/8/10 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Why?

Exactly. The 'correct' way to do this is to first fit a temp gauge, then run it and see if you need a cooler. As often too cool oil can be just as bad as too hot.

But if you do want one then there are plenty of tin tops that have them as standard, so maybe rob some bits from a scrapper?

Cubby - 3/8/10 at 08:36 PM

Yes I'm fitting a temp guage at present to check out a theory that my gearbox(s) failure issues are due to overheating . If so a cooler might be my saviour.

rusty nuts - 3/8/10 at 08:43 PM

Which gearbox? what oil are you using? Were the gearboxes second hand or reconditioned? Are you using a quickshift? I seriously doubt that oil temperature will cause gearbox failure , more likely the wrong oil, worn internals, or using a quick shift for fast changes especially when used on a type 9 box that suffer from synchro ring problems.

Cubby - 3/8/10 at 08:58 PM

Rusty the boxes are both MT75 and both reconditioned (by two different companies) . In a few hundred miles both displayed similar issues that is load werring noise when in neutral and car stationery. No gear whining when car moving ,no issues selecting gears etc. All works fine apart from this annoying worn bearing type sound. noise loudens as gbox oil heats up with use. Changed spigot bearing on both occasion and changed clutch release bearing as well .
The first box I used MT75 oil from my local ford dealers but the second box as used Millers Oil.

[Edited on 3/8/10 by Cubby]

Stott - 3/8/10 at 09:19 PM

MT75s were in cossies right?

If so they suffered from an idle chatter and an overrun growl with certain clutches fitted. My dads saph had idle chatter on the std clutch, Brooklyn replaced it under warranty for an EsCos clutch which solved this but gave a bit of overrun growl, but more bearable than the chatter.

Just a thought.

snapper - 3/8/10 at 09:25 PM

A gearbox does not have an oilpump so you would need an electric one and probably a filter

Canada EH! - 3/8/10 at 10:10 PM

Normally the only time coolers are required for the transmission and differential is indurance racing, two or more hours.
The normal practice is an electric pump with lines to a cooler and temp guages. The pumps can not be turned on until the oil gets very hot, and therefore thin enough to pump.
Nascar and some 12 and 24 hour cars use this system, but it is not needed for sprint racing

RazMan - 4/8/10 at 08:26 AM

I have to agree with Rusty here. On a road car, oil temp will more than likely not be your problem. In fact I can't think of any way to install a cooler as there is no pump or circulation. It has to be a bearing or misalignment somewhere.

[Edited on 4-8-10 by RazMan]

britishtrident - 4/8/10 at 10:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stott

They used the T5 same as the Rover75 V8 & the Mustang.

02GF74 - 4/8/10 at 03:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
A gearbox does not have an oilpump so you would need an electric one and probably a filter

quote:

quote:

02GF74 - 4/8/10 at 03:44 PM

quote:

^^^ wot 'e said.

there are some Land Rover/Range Rover auto boxes that have pumps and have coolers but that is the exception rather than the rule.

you could replace the gearbox oil with a water/milk mix so when the 'box breaks down, add a tea bag and enjoy a cuppa waiting for the AA/RAC man.

Stott - 4/8/10 at 05:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by Stott

They used the T5 same as the Rover75 V8 & the Mustang.

BWs were only in the 2WD I believe, MT75 in the 4x4s

My thinking was although it's not the 4x4 box in this case, it's an MT75 so the inp shaft may have the same problems when a funny clutch is on it

EDIT: my dads faulty one was a 93 saph, 4x4 so had the 75 in it and a fault which sounds just like this

[Edited on 4/8/10 by Stott]