Board logo

Ride Height
Numb nuts - 15/9/10 at 07:13 PM

I have been going through my Velocity XT over the last year, putting straight some of the horror stories the previous owner put into the car

I am now at a point where I want to get the 4 wheel alignment / steering / camber / castor etc set up.

What ride height best suites the Velocity, and should this be set prior to it being taken for alignment. How is the best way to go about this?

austin man - 15/9/10 at 07:30 PM

height depends on usage and more importantly sump level I wouldnt be happy with a sump with less than 4" clearance on public roads

Numb nuts - 15/9/10 at 08:00 PM

I understand your reasoning...the road needing ground clearance to avoid de-sumping over speed bumps / pot holes etc. but what about track use? I have chopped the sump so it only hangs about an inch under the chassis line.

interestedparty - 15/9/10 at 09:01 PM

100mm from chassis to ground at the front, and a bit more at the back is a good average to start from.

At 75mm clearance under the sump you should be ok most of the time, just need to be careful on farm tracks etc. Shouldn't be a problem on the road.

loggyboy - 15/9/10 at 09:49 PM

Shouldnt it be based on angles of the arms primeraly.(sp) You want to utilise as much evenness as possible to avoid geometry changes associated with bump steer etc.

alexg1965 - 15/9/10 at 10:08 PM

I'm sure the original advice from Luego was for the bottom wishbones to be parallel to the ground but worth checking with them

motivation cars - 16/9/10 at 01:22 PM

the bottom arms should be parallel

joe

Numb nuts - 16/9/10 at 06:41 PM

Thanks for the advice people, I set the bottom arms at parallel as suggested, and took it in for a remap/dyno to set up the new engine.

A test drive afterwards revealed no apparent bump steer...very well behaved It was loads better than it had been. I had been running too high at the front.

Next step check alignment/camber etc.