Board logo

Bolt on diff to push in shafts
snapper - 12/1/09 at 06:38 PM

Always one to make things difficult, i have push in drive shafts with rear drum brake and want to fit a bolt on LSD.
What are my options, hopefully starting with the more simple do it yourself at home for pennies type solutions.
Any ideas?

Xtreme Kermit - 12/1/09 at 07:33 PM

I think I read somewhere that the bolt on bits are just held into the diff with circlips inside the diff housing.

In theory the push in shafts then just push in...

Of course - I have never done this...

stuart_g - 12/1/09 at 07:35 PM

wouldn't it just be a case of taking the pushin joint off the drive shaft and replacing with Lobro? or is that too easy?

Yes the bolt on part is just held in by a circlip but there are different diameter splines so if you have the same that may be another option.

[Edited on 12/1/09 by stuart_g]

snapper - 12/1/09 at 07:40 PM

I am looking in to that as well as the removal of the bolt on flanges in the diff just don't want to end up with 2 sets of useless drive shafts and a knakered diff.
I will soon have a push in drive shaft to play with so will rip that apart first and see where we get.

maximill666 - 12/1/09 at 07:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stuart_g
wouldn't it just be a case of taking the pushin joint off the drive shaft and replacing with Lobro? or is that too easy?

Yes the bolt on part is just held in by a circlip but there are different diameter splines so if you have the same that may be another option.

[Edited on 12/1/09 by stuart_g]

Yes it is that simple, thats what I have got

LSD Diff, Drums & Push in shafts with Lobro joints

delboy - 12/1/09 at 09:50 PM

The splined section that goes into the diff on an LSD is different from the standard shaft. The lobro and push in shafts are the same, splines etc on open diffs. You'll need to do as above.