Board logo

Bias Bar alternative for IVA
Cheffy - 23/6/09 at 07:50 PM

Evening all,

Following on from big_wasa's recent post here:- Linky

(but not wanting to hi-jack his post ) what's everybody else doing about replacing the bias bar for IVA?

I haven't got access to milling equipment and just wondered if there was another way round it?

Or is everybody just using a normal bias bar and welding it up?

Mart.

cd.thomson - 23/6/09 at 09:22 PM

on speaking to the manufacturer of my kit (dax) who still provide a pedal box with bias bar the current accepted solution is to weld the top of the securing nut and a significant proportion of the thread.

big_wasa - 23/6/09 at 09:24 PM

what pedal box is it ?

cd.thomson - 23/6/09 at 09:26 PM

the dax one?

Cheffy - 23/6/09 at 09:53 PM

I'm using the OBP one. Just seemed a bit of a waste to weld up a perfectly good balance bar worth (IIRC) around £25 if there was a cheaper/easier option and then fit the bias bar post IVA if necessary.

Mart.

CaptainJosh - 24/6/09 at 08:04 AM

If you've got a lathe, machine up a none threaded alternative to the bar, taking measurements from your original adjustable setup.

Then simple swap over when you need to.

Cheffy - 24/6/09 at 09:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainJosh
If you've got a lathe, machine up a none threaded alternative to the bar, taking measurements from your original adjustable setup.

Then simple swap over when you need to.

Yea, I think that's what it's going to have to be. No lathe hence looking for alternatives, but I've got a very good small engineering company locally who are very good at doing little one off jobs so might pop over and see them.

Thanks for the replies chaps,

Mart.

[Edited on 24/6/09 by Cheffy]

Richard Quinn - 24/6/09 at 10:38 AM

Weld it up and swap it out after. I've just bought another for mine as I wasn't too happy about having the "SVA one" drilled to take a roll pin. Just seems to be an uneccessary weakening of a critical component!

MikeRJ - 24/6/09 at 05:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
Weld it up and swap it out after. I've just bought another for mine as I wasn't too happy about having the "SVA one" drilled to take a roll pin. Just seems to be an uneccessary weakening of a critical component!

That would depend on where you are drilling it. A small hole right in the middle of the outer clevis assemblies isn't going to weaken it much, if at all.

OTOH welding it will certainly introduce some weakness.

[Edited on 24/6/09 by MikeRJ]