Board logo

Brake disc rotation
Breaker - 6/8/10 at 12:24 PM

Some weeks ago I received the grooved and drilled discs + wilwoods for my MK.

I trial fitted the left side with the brake disc that had "L " (left) on the box.

grooved disc
grooved disc

Is this correct ? I thought the grooves and holes should point to the other direction ?

blakep82 - 6/8/10 at 12:28 PM

usually they go the other way, but i did see somewhere a while back, one manufacturer said they should be fitted the way you have them, so check with the disc manufacturer

locost750mc - 6/8/10 at 12:39 PM

Depends on the manufacturer, sometimes they are this direction for cooling, or the other direction to allow the heat to disperse, also to allow brake dust a easy route out.

[Edited on 6/8/10 by locost750mc]

loggyboy - 6/8/10 at 12:51 PM

ive always been told other way. So anything in them (water, hot air, dust etc) is thrown outwards centrifugally rather than collected.
However the edge of your grooves does not run to the end of the disk so cant see how they can have much effect?

[Edited on 6/8/10 by loggyboy]

procomp - 6/8/10 at 01:42 PM

Hi

They should be the other way round. But it will not really make much of a difference to those ones as they are just groves for show rather than practical use.

Cheers Matt

PSpirine - 7/8/10 at 12:09 PM

I think it only matters on vented discs because of the direction the cooling vents run...

The grooves, and especially the dimples, couldn't make less of a difference (in terms of which way they turn)