Board logo

Cad-plting
dutchsuperseven - 20/5/04 at 04:33 PM

Has anyone tried cad-plating small parts on a diy method?.
It must be possible to plate the parts at home.
It's possible to buy cad-plating kits at Casswel-plating, but it's expensive.
The other option, to have it plated professionally is not an option because it takes long and its never around the block.
Greetings, Rob

Mix - 21/5/04 at 06:57 AM

I believe the chemicals used in cadmium plating are highly poisonous, not something I'd consider as a DIY process.

Mick

MikeR - 21/5/04 at 11:20 AM

Don't frosts have a kit that does something like cad plating. I seem to recall it was a lot like the electrolosis but with some chemical in the water.

Dave Ashurst - 21/5/04 at 06:25 PM

Hey, Mike,
I didn't know you were good at chemistry too!
Nice try!
Dave

MikeR - 22/5/04 at 12:04 AM

Oi, I got a 'C' in Chemistry ..... or was it a 'b'. Then again it was a GCSE so doesn't count for much.

Anyway, having found the frosts its the nickel and zinc plating i was refering too - and if you look at the picture its got a bucket, electrodes and chemicals in the water ....... see i do know what I'm talking about

Dave Ashurst - 22/5/04 at 07:32 AM

Well, I take it all back mate

NS Dev - 23/5/04 at 02:26 PM

I think what is being referred to here as Cadmium plating is not Cadmium plating??!! The "gold coloured" finish on many bits bought from kit car places is zinc plated (which leaves a silver finish) then chromate passivated.

You are quite right Mike on the kits, and if you buy a zinc one and then get a chromate passivating kit you can make your own "gold coloured protective finish"!! The passivate apparently makes the zinc plating tougher.

Personally, if I felt like splashing out on the kit, I'd just go for the zinc plate and live with the silver finish, it's easier to do!

As a further question, apparently you can zinc plate electolytically using an alkaline solution (caustic/washing soda??) with a zinc anode (bought as a "sacrificial anode" from a chandlers. Anybody know owt about this?

Terrapin_racing - 28/5/04 at 08:40 AM

Any use to anyone?
cheers
Rob