Board logo

Orbital polisher
philhoward - 11/11/12 at 09:10 AM

I am think of asking Santa for one of these for Christmas. I need something that is good but not too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Phil

Peteff - 11/11/12 at 09:35 AM

Do you mean the angle grinder type or the two handled ones and what is your idea of too expensive ? There are rotary buffers or orbital polishers anything from under £20 to £100s. Round at the bike shop they use a Silverline which you can buy on ebay for about £45 and it has been in constant use for a few years now.

philhoward - 11/11/12 at 09:39 AM

Not bothered if it is one or 2 handed. Which is easier to use?

Price up to £80.00

Phil

Krismc - 11/11/12 at 10:09 AM

I wouldnt recommend a orbital, seen lots of damaged caused by them.

Ive got a porter cable random orbital polisher, its the snizzle! (aka Duel Action)

Its much better than the standard orbital ones, and ive had one for about 11 years now and its still going strong so if you can afford the extra or can get one second hand id highly recommend.

A few of my cars ive polished over the years......

[Edited on 11/11/12 by Krismc]

BangedupTiger - 11/11/12 at 04:00 PM

Get a DAS6.

Peteff - 11/11/12 at 04:41 PM

You can get a pad to fit da sanders and use polishing kit with them, I looked at one for my sander I use for woodwork but I don't do much polishing so didn't bother. Like this.

chrisni1986 - 3/7/13 at 06:51 PM

ive a portercable 7424, much safer to use than a standard rotary buff and prob best to start off with if machine polishing if new to you as you can cause quite alot of damage with a rotary if you dont know what your at

coyoteboy - 3/7/13 at 08:48 PM

I recently bought the "185" model rotary from Machine Mart, works a treat. Speed controlled (self adjusts for load to maintain RPM) and polished my 23 year old matte white car from:

to:

I'm pretty pleased. I've no previous experience with polishing hardware and I've done more damage to the edges/corners by hand polishing than I did with the rotary. And you have to be a complete mechanically inept idiot to burn through in a spot, as far as I can see (unless I'm missing something).

[Edited on 3/7/13 by coyoteboy]