Board logo

Wireless Help
Noodle - 27/11/05 at 07:51 PM

I've just set up a Buffalo wireless router at a mate's house. He's on Telewest broadband.

I've set the router to have the MAC address of the old accessing PC and when cabled in, the new PC works a treat.

On the upstairs computer with a wireless 11G Belkin card, I've established a connection and can see the router downstairs (pinging and getting the admin page up) but I'll be buggered if I can get to the internet.

I refreshed the ipconfig (it's Win2K), the DHCP appears to work OK (downstairs uses it too) but no blinkin' Internet and the local IP is within the range of the DHCP servers IP block so that looks all right.

I've even tried manually putting in the DNS settings from the router into the TCP/IP configuration.

I'm using 64bit WEP.

I've done a few in the past (ADSL and cable) but this has got me confused. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,

Neil.

Mr G - 27/11/05 at 08:10 PM

Manually telling it the correct Gateway?

britishtrident - 27/11/05 at 08:25 PM

I have seen this type of problem before I bet the PC downstairs is running XP --- It could be that it has got MS internet connection sharing partly installed on it and confusing the PC upstairs.

RichardK - 27/11/05 at 08:55 PM

As you can ping and go to the local admin page presumably using the ip address the problem lays with dns, we need to find out whether you can ping a remote address like the bbc.co.uk on 212.58.224.126, if you can then the gateway is set correctly and it is using it, if you can ping the ip but not the name then the dns setting are wrong, if you have tried putting in your isp dns setting into the dhcp configuraion maybe the router is performing nat and the routers ip needs to be the dns server address in the dhcp section. If you can ping both by ip and name then it is a browser issue or a binding tcp/ip problem, is it set to use a proxy in the lan settings and set to never dial a connection? I would also turn off wep whilst fault finding. Would also mac address filter when things are ok.

Just a few things to try, hope you get sorted.

Regards

Rich

[Edited on 27/11/05 by RichardK]

chrisf - 27/11/05 at 09:03 PM

I would try shutting down all devices for a few minutes, then powing up the router, then PCs.

Have you tried going through the Internet connection wizard on the XP machine? That may fix it as well.

Also, is the XP machine running the personal firewall that came with Service Pack 2? I can't imagine that being the problem, but might be worth it to shut it down as well.

--HTH, Chris

Noodle - 27/11/05 at 09:26 PM

I haven't managed to ping outside the network yet as I couldn't remember any addresses off hand and had forgotten my own IP where I've an Apache server running (for email).

- I'll check the XP box (well deduced Mr. Trident) for ICS
- WEP I had on and off. Problem didn't change.
- I'll try the bbc IP, thanks.
- The XP machine is SP2 with the firewall on. I'll power this down and see what happens.

Also, the machine kept re-booting with the Belkin card in. I changed the RAM for some spare but it was the same. I'm suspecting an interrupt conflict so I'll change the PCI slot and see what happens. (I put in the the slot where an old and unused NIC resided)

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'm open to more should they manifest themselves.

Cheers,

Neil.

tri - 27/11/05 at 09:32 PM

if you have a firewall try to look at it's settings as to whether the PC is allowed to access it

Tri

daz - 27/11/05 at 09:51 PM

go onto your pc that wont allow the internet to work, load up internet explorer, click tools...internet options.. a box will pop up, click the connections tab, then click the "lan settings" button, ctick the "automatically detect setings" box and untick the other boxes, click ok and bobs your uncle, should work a treat

if not the it could be something else

[Edited on 27/11/05 by daz]

Noodle - 27/11/05 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daz
go onto your pc that wont allow the internet to work, load up internet explorer, click tools...internet options.. a box will pop up, click the connections tab, then click the "lan settings" button, ctick the "automatically detect setings" box and untick the other boxes, click ok and bobs your uncle, should work a treat

if not the it could be something else

Tried that whilst banging my head in a display not unlike your avatar. T'was one of the first things I did when I established the router connection.

Bum trip!

phoenix70 - 27/11/05 at 11:09 PM

Sounds very much like a Default Gateway problem, have you checked this?

The Gateway should be the router address.

Have you tried flushing the routing table (route -f), you may have duff route in there somewhere.

lewis635 - 27/11/05 at 11:35 PM

switch off firewall, i had a similar prop last week, dns error