Board logo

New Robin Hood
carlgeldard - 28/12/05 at 08:36 PM

Have you seen the New Robin Hood

David Jenkins - 28/12/05 at 08:47 PM

Looks like a toy Ferrari...

Genesis - 28/12/05 at 11:47 PM

'kin 'ell.... Should I like it that much...?

Hellfire - 29/12/05 at 10:18 AM

Does look nice........ on the photographs. Might be a different story close up though

scotty g - 29/12/05 at 02:08 PM

If you look on the RobinHood web site you will find no information on it at all, this says to me that its probably a fake.
The only thing they have that is even close to release is the Rager.

Peteff - 29/12/05 at 03:17 PM

According to that it's just panels to bolt on a your MR2, not a kit, so it shouldn't need any changes to the registration.

bob - 29/12/05 at 09:57 PM

I bet in real life it will look like a Covin kit from 20 years back

ned - 30/12/05 at 07:24 AM

I thought this was at one of the shows this year (unless there's another new shape ferrari mr2 rebody) looked ok, problem is always going to be the sound an mr2 makes though..

Ned.

scotty g - 30/12/05 at 08:36 AM

I must stand corrected having just seen this very add in the latest PPC.
I understand there is a german company doing the same thing, maybe RH have bought it?

chrisg - 30/12/05 at 01:18 PM

Erm.

The mr2 is agood three feet shorter than the ferrari.

won't that be a bit of a give away?

Cheers

Chris

scotty g - 30/12/05 at 01:21 PM

Only if you have seen a few reel ones i suppose.
I never have so i might be fooled until it either drove away and i heard it, or i got close enough to see the inside of it.

Spyderman - 30/12/05 at 03:35 PM

Robin Hood started off many years ago by doing conversions to TR7s and Rover SD1s into Ferrari Daytona look alikes.
So it is hardly suprising they are returning to that field. There is obviously money to be made!

Terry

Hugh Paterson - 1/1/06 at 11:55 PM

looks cool to me fellas...make a nice grp body for a locost mid engine car on a tube chassis, now what could u fit under that??
Shug.
P.s. Im thinking a Northstar and suitable transaxle!

RallyHarry - 3/1/06 at 01:05 PM

I was thinking the same thing, tucking a nice and light frame under the panels, to bad it's the spyder version ...
Cupé version would look like a raw and totally gutted race version with the riveted alu.

hm, might be doable anyway, but it's still a bit shorter than the original shape, can't look good can it ?

Cheers

smart51 - 3/1/06 at 01:12 PM

It's cheap, it looks nice, there's no SVA and because it is a kit car, your insurance premiums will halve. A plan with no drawbacks.

David Jenkins - 3/1/06 at 01:17 PM

Mind you, from rumours going round, significant changes to a car will require SVA tests in the future(something Steve Gusterson wrote once?).

That'll severely knock the market for body kits such as these...

Of course, it could be a load of twaddle!

David

iank - 5/1/06 at 01:11 AM

Just found some interesting information while trawling around my hard disk . Back in May totalkitcar.com had a news story of a ferrari replica based on a new shape MR2 from Rally Sport Replicas (now out of business).

The picture (now sadly not available on the 'official site' ) looks exactly the same as the 'new' robin hood. I'm guessing it's not beyond the bounds of possibility they bought the molds from the receiver

MikeRJ - 5/1/06 at 08:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
It's cheap, it looks nice, there's no SVA and because it is a kit car, your insurance premiums will halve. A plan with no drawbacks.

Apart from having something that looks a bit like a Ferrari without the performance, sound or interior to match. It will probably be heavier than a standard MR2 and if they have to use the same ridiculous rear wheel spacers then handling will also be compromised and wheel bearing life measureable with a stop watch.

Actualy, is it a kit car, or is it just a rather comprehensive body kit? I guess that as with the 355 conversion a good deal of the original panels are retained. I've heard stories about cheap insurance on these monstrosities, but can hardly belive the insurance companies would be so guilible.

greggors84 - 5/1/06 at 09:47 PM

I saw a website for another conversion company the other day, quite well known for their 355 MR2 conversions. They now have a 360 conversion for a 406 coupe!
Hmm front engined front wheel drive ferrari anyone???