Board logo

Cutting (old) Mini windscreen
Mave - 28/10/04 at 03:13 PM

Does anyone have any experience with cutting a slightly bend, laminated windscreen? I'd like to use the screen of a Mini on my Indy, but it would need to be cut on the sides (and maybe a bit lower).

Now I know it is possible, but the companies who can do it warn me that there is a slight chance, that the screen will break, due to internal stresses.

I'd like to know if anyone went this route, and what his experience is.

Thanks,
Marcel

James - 28/10/04 at 03:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mave

I'd like to know if anyone went this route, and what his experience is.

Thanks,
Marcel

So would I as I've been thinking about using a mini screen myself!

James

midlifecrisis - 28/10/04 at 06:55 PM

Hi I haven't actually cut a mini screen down to fit a Locost ,but I have had a few screens cut over the years to fit roof chopped cars I have built . I think an old screen has a lot more probs when cutting ,due to it may have a small chip etc,which any stress crack would easily 'run to ' if there was a chance .A lot of screen cutters wont even give it a go ,new or old screen ,even if you take the risk. The trick is to lay the screen curve uppermost ,on a blanketed flat surface ,with lots of support under the ends ,but acces to the line from underneath . The cut is done ,by freehand ,along the line you have marked , doing the upper (inner) surface of glass first ,then without turning it over cutt opposite (under side ) meths is then poured into the cut,set alight,which softens the plastic ,and special pliers used to grip the screen to "wiggle " the edge up and down to ease it away from the bit you want .Have had heavily curved screens done this way also.Sorry ,cant describe better ,have a glazier mate who usually does mine ,but even he doesnt like me watching the process,cos its tricky to do .Hope I've been some help . ROD

Mave - 29/10/04 at 06:27 AM

Whaaa, that sounds scary! Hmm, but still....a slightly curved windscreen looks so much better than a flat one..... So I might give it a go......

Thanks

dutchsuperseven - 5/11/04 at 08:20 PM

Yeah Mave,
I heard about the midlifecrisis-method too. It indeed sounds scary. A automotive-glass supplier of our company told me about this method a few yaers ago, but when i asked him last week if they still used this method he said "no, please not"! Will call you this weekend about my new Mini windshield!
Greetingz, Rob

MikeRJ - 7/11/04 at 05:18 PM

Is there no way of cutting laminated glass with e.g. a high pressure water jet with abrasive grit in it? I know this is used to cut all sorts of other material.

midlifecrisis - 8/11/04 at 06:15 PM

Y ikes !! Thats a bit advanced fro a locoster!!!!!!!! lol

silex - 11/11/04 at 12:44 PM

If you have one or can get access - a thin diamond coated slitting wheel in your grinder gets the job done. Takes patience and a steady hand though. Also, make sure you use a mask and gogs.

MikeRJ - 11/11/04 at 04:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by midlifecrisis
Y ikes !! Thats a bit advanced fro a locoster!!!!!!!! lol

I didn't mean actually doing it yourself! You can cut really hard stuff with water jet + abrasive grit, there are commercial operations that do this sort of thing.

midlifecrisis - 11/11/04 at 08:18 PM

I've heard that it can be done with a diamond cutting wheel too ,but never seen a finished result . P'raps no one has ever got that far cos they've got the 'shakes' and blown the glass!! lol ROD

silex - 12/11/04 at 03:37 PM

A diamond wheel is easier on laminated than a toughened screen. The lamination makes the screen less susceptable to the " shakes ".

1.Apply masking tape along the line of cut, as this makes the first cut easier (reduces slipping).

2. Apply a very light cut following the line as close and as straight as possible.

3. Take following cuts using the first lighter cut as a guide. You will eventually split the screen in two.

It is possible to cut through the screen in one pass, but I think it is easier and less damage prone to do it in a number of cuts. At least then if you get tired or shaky you can stop at the end of a cut more quickly.

Also, if you have problems with the blade clogging from the platic, you can cut both glass sides - stopping when you get to plastic (you can feel the difference) and then split the plastic with stanley knife.