Board logo

See through bonnet
Lawnmower - 16/6/07 at 07:56 PM

was watching topgear and they had a maserati ibora with a see through boot lid over the engine. This got me thinking about how possible/practical a locost see through bonnet would be. any ideas?

Howlor - 16/6/07 at 08:02 PM

With a boat anchor underneath?! You would need a good clean oil in it all the time to keep the bonnet see through!

iank - 16/6/07 at 08:12 PM

Wouldn't be too hard to fabricate from polycarbonate.
Keeping it looking good would be a challenge, also it would tend to get soft and floppy from the heat of exhaust headers.

You'd also need to spend a lot of time making the engine bay look good.

RichardK - 16/6/07 at 08:19 PM

I spend most of my time hiding stuff

Rich

Lawnmower - 16/6/07 at 09:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop

See through floor and tunnel for the passenger

[Edited on 16-6-07 by mangogrooveworkshop]

I know that has been discussed previously on here!

And no i wasn't thinking of a see through landy bonnet!

as for the heat etc, dont some people make the bulges out of similar materials?

Thought it be nice to have a nice shiny engine bay, all blinged up, colour coded hoses, stainless exhaust etc and actually be able to see it!

Peteff - 16/6/07 at 10:39 PM

You'll not see it from the drivers seat and if you're moving nobody else will see it. Just take the bonnet off when you park up.

Mark Allanson - 16/6/07 at 10:45 PM

..at least the chavs will know in advance what they are knicking

RazMan - 16/6/07 at 11:15 PM

Nah, they would see the Thatcham alarm first

Avoneer - 17/6/07 at 07:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lawnmower
Thought it be nice to have a nice shiny engine bay, all blinged up, colour coded hoses, stainless exhaust etc and actually be able to see it!

Yeah - if your a chav!

Pat...

BenB - 17/6/07 at 12:01 PM

I think the fact that it's on a Masserati says it all

If you're making a car to drive well you need light weight. Who cares what the engine bay looks like??

Spending time making a car look all bling and shiny doesn't really add that much enjoyment to the driving... Better to spend the time sorting out the tracking / fuel mixture / sticking a V8 in it etc etc....

But each to their own.....