Board logo

Sikaflex - Tigerseal or other
l0rd - 11/10/10 at 09:53 AM

I will be off to Greece in 2 weeks time on holidays. I need to bond the bodykit on my tintop while i am there.

What should i use so i don't make a mistake and which is the best place and cheapest place to get it from?

Bodykit is ABS plastic i believe as it is the genuine manufacturer's bodykit.

FASTdan - 11/10/10 at 09:59 AM

sikaflex is very good, but will NEVER come off if you ever need to remove it.

I find silicone sealer works well if you can clamp the kit firmly.

Peteff - 11/10/10 at 10:04 AM

Either of those or most things labelled as pu adhesive as used by decorators or builders. Google round and you'll find it under various names.

balidey - 11/10/10 at 10:04 AM

Sikaflex CAN come off. It depends if you use Sika Sealer or Sika Adhesive. You can use both products for both applications, and many people confuse the two with just using the name Sika. (like saying to use 3M sticky tape or Loctite.... which one?)
And for it to stay on very well you need to key, clean and prime the surface.
The Sika we use at work is 552, which is the adhesive. Very good stuff

boggle - 11/10/10 at 11:33 AM

tger seal is good......silicone is not good for your paint and will cause you issues if you try to paint over it.

craig1410 - 11/10/10 at 12:10 PM

I attached my cycle wings to their brackets using "Serious Stuff" which I think is made by Evostik and can be bought at B&Q etc. It is white, comes in a black cartridge and is very very strong. After my cycle wing brackets broke I had to remove the wing from the remains of the bracket and it was not at all easy!

It also remains useable for longer than the PU adhesives which very quickly go off once you open the tube. Even an unopened tube has a relatively short shelf life.

I hope this helps,
Craig.

[Edited on 11/10/2010 by craig1410]

l0rd - 11/10/10 at 06:50 PM

So, how much should i get? 1 or 2 bottles?

I need to fit 2 sideskirts

The rest should just bolt on.

NS Dev - 12/10/10 at 10:55 AM

Maybe of use or not, but Toolstation sell a PU adhesive (PU40) as I think do screwfix, which is basically, to my untrained knowledge, the same as tigerseal (I now use it on all customer cars instead of sikaflex or tigerseal) for £3.67 per tube, which is a lot cheaper than most!

here's a link:

toolstation pu40

as I say, I make no claims vs tigerseal or sika products, but I use it to bond bodywork very successfully, and its not a diy product like gripfill or pinkgrip et-al which are not much cop in automotive applications

l0rd - 12/10/10 at 04:37 PM

Thank you all

Your knowledge is greatly appreciated