Board logo

Rust rat rod look question
jacko - 28/9/14 at 07:48 PM

Hi all you knowledgeable people / friends
how do you do rat rod look ? is it just a case of letting the steel rust then lacquer it ?

Its not a car i want to do this to by the way
Thank's
Graham

blakep82 - 28/9/14 at 08:00 PM

Normally just let it rust I thought? No laquer? Works better in america I guess

Another way I've heard of, is to paint a car as normal, then mix a laquer coat with LOADS of iron filings. Spray on, sand the top exposing iron, they rust, but the body is protected by paint underneath

SALAD - 28/9/14 at 08:08 PM

Hello Graham, this is all just my opinion but rust doesn't necessarily equal rat. There is no substitute for genuine age/weathered patina.

That said, what is it you are trying to ratify? Can you flat the paint back? Age it with a big hammer?!

I also hear using oil on the panels is preferred by some rather than lacquer.

morcus - 28/9/14 at 09:53 PM

You can get rust effect paint if it's just rust you're after.

nick205 - 28/9/14 at 10:17 PM

There's plenty of YouTube footage showing how to do it, ranging from stripping the paint and letting it rust to scratching the paint and pouring beer on it.

What are you looking to ratify....?

pewe - 29/9/14 at 11:42 AM

Cut up metal tubing using an angry-grinder close to the car.
Hot metal sparks fuse themselves into the paintwork and very quickly rust to give you the rat look you're after.
Ask me how I know........
Cheers, Pewe10

jacko - 29/9/14 at 05:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Cut up metal tubing using an angry-grinder close to the car.
Hot metal sparks fuse themselves into the paintwork and very quickly rust to give you the rat look you're after.
Ask me how I know........
Cheers, Pewe10

Yes and fu*k windscreens / windows ask how i know

For them that would like to know its a anvil for the garden that will be sat on from time to time thats why i was thinking of lacquering it
Graham

DIY Si - 29/9/14 at 09:21 PM

It does the same to pint glasses too. But I will always know which is mine!

beaver34 - 30/9/14 at 08:50 AM

i have a bare metal vw camper done with flapper wheel on grinder and lacquered it lives outside under a cover and it does rust but noting bad a redo it every two years

jacko - 30/9/14 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
i have a bare metal vw camper done with flapper wheel on grinder and lacquered it lives outside under a cover and it does rust but noting bad a redo it every two years

Thats great thank's Beaver thats just what i was looking for
Graham