Board logo

Halfrauds paint matcher?
speedyxjs - 5/10/09 at 10:20 AM

My mum scratched the mirror on the Jag yesterday and since i need to paint the rear bumper, i thought it would be a good excuse to get it done.

The cheapest i have found is £21 on fleabay.

Has anyone used Halfrauds paint matching services? Is it just a case of taking the mirror cover in and handing it over?

Mr Whippy - 5/10/09 at 10:24 AM

I use this quite a lot, you need the paint code rather than a bit of bodywork. They look it up on the computer and that gives them the weights of the different colours to mix. IIRC it’s about £12 for a spray can and my local one makes them up on the spot. One can did explode on the guy which was very funny in a not trying to PMSL kind off way what a mess

I like them as the paint doesn’t react with any others of their own brand and if you buy it off e-bay you don't really know WTF you’re buying and what is going to do with previous or further coats. I've had far too much disastrous paint reactions in the past to risk it again.

[Edited on 5/10/09 by Mr Whippy]

emsfactory - 5/10/09 at 11:02 AM

I have never found halfords paint match to be any good and I used to work there.
The can give you blue paint if you want blue paint but it may not be the same as your blue paint. That was using colour codes.
A lot depends on how accurate the chap making it is.

tegwin - 5/10/09 at 11:06 AM

Halfords dont do colour scan matching...

My local bodyshop has a scanner machine that will measure the paint colour.... But they cant sell spray cans anymore due to healf and safeety!

dhutch - 5/10/09 at 12:19 PM

quote:

A lot depends on how accurate the chap making it is.

That is the problem with frauds paint.
- It is literally a bloke squirting bottles of goo into a pot on a pair of scales while looking at a computer screen of how much of what he's ment to be glooping in. Some take care over it, others less so.

That said, if you doing a whole panel and cost is the major driving force, im sure theres a lot worse.

Daniel

bassett - 5/10/09 at 12:22 PM

I have found the paints on the shelf are very good. The mixing can be off as it has that human element when weighing and they can easily go over xx.xx grams or the paints arent properly mixed. However there is a huge choice to be mixed and i know there arent many jag colours off the shelf. The can check the colour by code and with paint sheets so take the part along if you do go.

Cubby - 5/10/09 at 12:54 PM

I've used my local Frauds twice in the last month . Never used their paint services before but very impressed 2 metallics both spot on in match. Never been impressed with their off the shelf cans .

Phil.J - 5/10/09 at 12:57 PM

I painted the wing on my neighbour's car a couple of weeks back using an aerosol mixed by Halfords from the paint code under the bonnet.
First can was a disaster as they had forgotten to pressurise it! Replacement can worked fine and was a perfect match.
Cost about £13 as I recall.

marcjagman - 5/10/09 at 02:35 PM

Used halfords colour match dozens of times, except for once always been brilliant. Take colour code in and they do it while you wait. Cellulose paint so quick and easy to use.

smart51 - 5/10/09 at 02:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by marcjagman
Cellulose paint so quick and easy to use.

I believe Halfords use acrylic paint. The premixed stuff is acrylic.

speedyxjs - 5/10/09 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bassett
i know there arent many jag colours off the shelf.

There arnt any

Cheers for the replys. I which of my local ones does paint mixing and give them a try

mistergrumpy - 5/10/09 at 07:33 PM

Hey, remove that red hat there! It's only just October you know!

Ninehigh - 10/10/09 at 08:38 AM

I've used their chip repair and touch up paints before, and after a few weeks of looking at where the scratch was and thinking "It looks different but it doesn't" I figured out that the first time I got the right shade but it wasn't metallic, and the second time I got one shade lighter. Otherwise they were pretty much spot on..