Board logo

Non-ladder frame cobra?
jlparsons - 24/1/07 at 09:29 PM

Purely an idle speculation, this one - anyone seen a cobra kit that's not based on a ladder frame? Seems there's a lot of space that you could maybe make more use of to make a lighter or stiffer chassis. Maybe a spaceframe or one that uses the body sections as stressed members?

timmy - 24/1/07 at 09:34 PM

But the body is fibreglass isn't it??
I don't think you can't stress that unless your name is Colin Chapman.....

And spaceframes become problematic when you start introducing doors. One of the reasons (apparently) why the gullwing SLR merc of old had such weird doors.

I would investigate a backbone chassis a-la Lotus Elan/Europa for something like a Cobra.

jlparsons - 24/1/07 at 09:40 PM

i know some kits use aly bodies, and i've seen some other replicas that used stressed grp. I'm guessing that required a lot of investment and prototyping.

I'm with you on the doors issue, but could you use more of a 3d structure fore and aft to attach to the backbone/sill girders?

ed_crouch - 24/1/07 at 09:47 PM

TVRs use a backbone chassis design to great effect. Note that most competition TVRs (including the race Tuscans) have big, labyrinth-like rollcages: its more about stiffenss (handling) than safety!

Ed.

You always lose stiffness by not having a steel roof over you.

Ed.

rsk289locost - 24/1/07 at 09:51 PM

Gardner Douglas use a TVR/Lotus style backbone with a stressed body. http://www.gdcars.com/images/gallery/gd427/DSC00009_JPG_gd427.jpg

Catpuss - 24/1/07 at 10:59 PM

The pilgrim one from "A car is born" uses a galvanised welded tub and the Sierra "swinging arms" as rear suspension.

jlparsons - 24/1/07 at 10:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ed_crouch
TVRs use a backbone chassis design to great effect. Note that most competition TVRs (including the race Tuscans) have big, labyrinth-like rollcages: its more about stiffenss (handling) than safety!

Ed.

You always lose stiffness by not having a steel roof over you.

Ed.

That rollcage idea is what I'm pondering for my locost - integral rollcage, slanted A-pillars joined to the chassis rails thorugh the scuttle with an hourglass shaped backbone joined to the rear rollbar. Should be a lot stiffer and safer for road use, is the plan. Been done a few times and looks pretty good I think.

That Garner Douglas looks good, think I've seen that one before. Instrinct would nag me to sit in the chassis rather than in a GRP structure mounted to it though. Might be a touch fragile in a side-swipe?