Board logo

Turbo Hunting - 1.9Tdi - Tin top prob
SierraL_killer - 4/3/08 at 07:33 PM

The car I have at the mo has a strange problem where the turbo keeps speeding up and slowing down during acceleration. This usually occurs when accelerating in 4th and 5th gears.

It kicks in normally at 2krpm, drops out again at about 2.5-3krpm and then does this horrible speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down until you change gear. This makes the car drive in lunges rather than just accelerating steadily.

The turbo doesnt smoke and it makes all the normal whining noises.

Any remedies as I feel like I'm riding to work on a kangaroo!?

Cheers for any help!

cossiebri - 4/3/08 at 07:35 PM

could it be the actuator?? sounds like it is bleeding off the boost

ASH3 - 4/3/08 at 07:38 PM

Sounds like air flow meter to me thats
what cured my tdi with the same symptoms. Factors do them now so dont
go to main dealer

itiejim - 4/3/08 at 07:38 PM

The MAF (air flow) meter is another common culprit. Try unplugging it and se what happens then, if it runs much better (perhaps a bit rich) then it needs replacing.

itiejim - 4/3/08 at 07:39 PM

Oops - too late...

Danozeman - 4/3/08 at 08:06 PM

What car is it? VAG TDi??

Sounds like airflow meter or vacuum pipes from turbo to ecu if it is.. The airflow meter on VAG tdi's are common. Dont get a genuine one. they cost a fotrune!

onzarob - 4/3/08 at 09:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
Dont get a genuine one. they cost a fotrune!

last quote I got was £56 from VW and £40 for an oem one.VW prices have drop lately My Cambelt kit was less from VW than from the local parts place

coozer - 4/3/08 at 09:46 PM

Waste gate flutter? Is the waste gate tight and sealing correctly?

onzarob - 4/3/08 at 10:04 PM

Which Tin top is it as later VW TDis are recirculating turbo's, the earlier one are waste-gate versions.

SierraL_killer - 4/3/08 at 10:46 PM

Cheers for the quick responses guys - I'll check sensors and bits out tommorrow.

Its a Seat Toledo (VW engine) from '97.

Thanks again!