Board logo

fuel filler
cd.thomson - 25/3/10 at 10:45 AM

Morning,

Could anyone advise on how the fuel filler system is constructed?

On my tank I have a large diameter open hole where I presume the main filler hose connects. Right next to this I have a smaller diameter sealed pipe.

I can buy all the parts from Dax for £116 + VAT + delivery. Does this seem reasonable? Can anyone give me a complete parts list?

[Edited on 25/3/10 by cd.thomson]

boggle - 25/3/10 at 10:52 AM

i would assume the small one is a breather, but do you need a return from your engine setup??

where are you mounting your fillercap???

top or on the back pannell??

boggle - 25/3/10 at 10:54 AM

large diameter open hole??

does it have holes on a pcd??

this could be the sender hole??

the inlet will have a tube...

tomprescott - 25/3/10 at 10:56 AM

Pics? As above, you're probably looking at the sender hole. If dax are offering filler neck, cap and sender for that price it's pretty good, if there isn't a sender with it I think thats a bit steep.

blakep82 - 25/3/10 at 10:59 AM

all i know is you're using carbs,m so you don't need a fuel return thingy

cd.thomson - 25/3/10 at 11:03 AM

sorry I don't think I've made myself clear. The fuel system from tank to carbs is fully finished.

I'm trying to figure out how to actually fill the tank up from a petrol pump rather than just sticking the hose into the large pipe in the top of the tank

I understand I need filler hose, breather hose, vents, filler caps, restrictors and all sorts, but I'm not sure what I need to buy..

eta- boggle, I'm mounting it on the rear end, horizontally. i.e. at right angles to the large diameter pipe.

eta- tom prices are listed as follows:

Filler cap ~ flush fitting lockable £ 75.95
Filler Pipe Assembly. £ 40.20

Which I presume is everything I need.

cd.thomson - 25/3/10 at 11:17 AM

by "sender" do you mean fuel level sender? this is fitted already too.

tomprescott - 25/3/10 at 01:07 PM

Yeah I meant fuel level sender so if that's finished then all you need is the filler. The pumps automatically stop when pressure reaches a certain point - as far as I know if you have a breather and all of your lines sorted it should just be a case of filler neck and cap. I think that both of those are a bit too expensive to be honest, I would be lloking at £50 and under for the filler cap, and circa £30 for the neck.

RK - 25/3/10 at 01:10 PM

seems like a lot of money for the filler cap. shop around!

blakep82 - 25/3/10 at 01:17 PM

filler cap and funnel can be had for a lot less surely? then you just need a bit of fuel filler hose

cd.thomson - 25/3/10 at 01:24 PM

Okay, so I dont require a breather, non-return valve or unleaded insert? Say I filled the tank and drove the car for a few miles wouldnt a dodgy vacuum be formed?

fuel filler cap from cbs is £71

filler neck £20

2" fuel filler hose £18

all before VAT and delivery so perhaps the Dax values are right..

Julian B - 25/3/10 at 03:08 PM

Hi

On Mine the filler neck has a small vent take off at the top which needs routing via a small diameter pipe at high level to the opposite side of the car ( off side in my case ) to end up at low level below the tank.

Does that help